The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 10th, 2024, 7:21am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Confusion about simulation settting for inductor (Read 5662 times)
baab

EA
Confusion about simulation settting for inductor
Feb 18th, 2014, 2:26am

Hi,
Please help me with the question in the picture? Thanks.

Inductor_simulation.PNG
View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: Confusion about simulation settting for inductor
Reply #1 - Feb 18th, 2014, 4:28pm

A wild guess is that this is some setup to do an s-parameter simulation of both a capacitor and an inductor. Without knowing the source of the picture I doubt anyone can help very much...

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
baab

EA
Reply #2 - Feb 18th, 2014, 11:23pm

Thank you, Andrew.

It is from a document guiding to simulate VCO. And you are right; the set up is used to simulate Z-parameters and Quality factor Q for both capacitor and inductor. However, they are done seperately.

If we only want to know Z-parameters and Quality factor Q for an inductor, I see there is no need to use PORT1 and C1 here.
Could you explain a bit more about this type of setting?

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #3 - Feb 19th, 2014, 12:21am

What kind of "setting"? There's no "setting" here... If using s-parameter analysis, you have to have ports - the simulator analyses the s-parameter matrix between the ports (in this case the only useful information would be S11 and S22 which would be single-ended s-parameters for the capacitor and inductor - none of the other matrix elements would be useful because there's no coupling between the ports.

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
baab

EA
Reply #4 - Feb 19th, 2014, 6:06pm

Thank you. I will upload that file when I get home. It is written in Korean and I couldn't understand it well.

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #5 - Feb 19th, 2014, 8:59pm

Hi baab,

there should be plenty of references around for how to model an inductor. Why did you choose one in Korean?

Anyway the procedure is very straightforward and logical. You just need to first be able to visualize what kind of passive components the structure will have. For example, a long straight line over a grounded substrate can be modeled as a series R+L with capacitors distributed along the R and L. This can be simplified as an R+L with a shunt cap at either end. After you have drawn your model, you need to find the component values. This is quite easy to do if you understand Y and Z parameters. If you want to make your model more complex, you can then start talking about magnetic coupling, and the skin effect etc...

regards,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
tuza2000

Reply #6 - Jul 20th, 2015, 10:07pm

baab wrote on Feb 19th, 2014, 6:06pm:
Thank you. I will upload that file when I get home. It is written in Korean and I couldn't understand it well.

can you share the reference document?thanks!

View Profile   IP Logged
tuza2000

Reply #7 - Jul 20th, 2015, 10:34pm

Andrew Beckett wrote on Feb 19th, 2014, 12:21am:
What kind of "setting"? There's no "setting" here... If using s-parameter analysis, you have to have ports - the simulator analyses the s-parameter matrix between the ports (in this case the only useful information would be S11 and S22 which would be single-ended s-parameters for the capacitor and inductor - none of the other matrix elements would be useful because there's no coupling between the ports.

Regards,

Andrew.

what's the scheme for simulate the quality factor of Parallel LC resonator? just simulate the seperate quality and using the formular of Qtank=Qc*Ql/(Qc+Ql) ?

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.