The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 19th, 2024, 12:07am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
problem with gated current source (Read 2516 times)
sourav

problem with gated current source
Mar 21st, 2013, 1:47am

Hi,

i want to design a gated current source. Here i have used a simple current mirror topology. Current through PM12 and PM13 will be controlled through the signal phi1 and phi2. Before adding these switches i was getting current 128 times of 40nA as I fixed the W/L ratio 128 times of PM10 and PM11.
After adding the switches i was expecting current only during the on time of phi2 and zero value when it is off. I have taken here ideal switches and they are implemented in Verilog A with on resistance of 1ohm and Off resistance of 100Mohm.
i am using gpdk 180nm technology file in cadence. after the simulation i am getting an unstable current instead of constant current. i have observed several times that whenever i am using some clock in mos circuits it generates some random fluctuation in current at the other terminals.

please tell me the reason behind it and give me some suggestion

thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: problem with gated current source
Reply #1 - Mar 25th, 2013, 7:37am

It's tricky to write a good switch model in Verilog-A.

Did you try using a built-in switch provided by your simulator?

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Kevin Aylward
Community Member

Re: problem with gated current source
Reply #2 - Jul 7th, 2013, 3:52am

Without even examining anything about your circuit, but based on the graphs only, I would first suggest that you set the simulator to do “Gear only” for these runs.

Kevin Aylward
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.