The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 17th, 2024, 4:15am
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Sampling Jitter of ADC ?? (Read 12905 times)
Mayank
Community Fellow

Sampling Jitter of ADC ??
Dec 13th, 2009, 9:50pm

Hi all,
         There's a limit on sampling Jitter of an ADC set by the desired SNR.

1.   Can somebody suggest me some good material which explains how do we backcalculate the requirements on jitter of the sampling clock ??

2.   The output of this ADC will go directly into BaseBand which takes FFT of this sampled signal. Now FFT is a windowed operation. So, is there a limit on accumulated / long-term jitter of sampling clock also ?  OR is it that we are concerned with cycle-to-cycle jitter of the sampling clock ???

thanx,
mayank.

View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Re: Sampling Jitter of ADC ??
Reply #1 - Dec 14th, 2009, 2:46am

Mayank wrote on Dec 13th, 2009, 9:50pm:
1.   Can somebody suggest me some good material which explains how do we backcalculate the requirements on jitter of the sampling clock ??
The following relation is well known.
   SNR=-10*log10[2/(3*2Nbit) + {2*pi*fin*Tsj/sqrt(2)}2]
   Here Nbit=Resolution Bits of ADC, fin=Frequency of Input Signal, Tsj=Peak Value of Sampling Jitter

Search application notes of ADI or TI(Burr Brown)

Mayank wrote on Dec 13th, 2009, 9:50pm:
Now FFT is a windowed operation.
So, is there a limit on accumulated / long-term jitter of sampling clock also ?
I can't understand a meaning of your question.
Please explain in detail with using correct terminologies.

There are many methods for evaluation of ADC SNR
Most simple method for evaluation of ADC SNR is FFT.
I think answer is self-obvious.

« Last Edit: Dec 14th, 2009, 5:11am by pancho_hideboo »  
View Profile WWW Top+Secret Top+Secret   IP Logged
Mayank
Community Fellow

Reply #2 - Dec 14th, 2009, 5:26am

Hi Pancho,

Quote:
The following relation is well known.
  SNR=-10*log10[2/(3*2Nbit) + {2*pi*fin*Tsj/sqrt(2)}2]
  Here Nbit=Resolution Bits of ADC, fin=Frequency of Input Signal, Tsj=Peak Value of Sampling Jitter

I know this formula, BUT my doubt is This Tsj is cycle-to-cycle Jitter of the sampling clock ?? OR is Tsj the long-term k-cycle Jitter of the sampling clock ??

I am designing the PLL for the sampling clock of ADC.
Cycle-to-Cycle Period Jitter depends mostly on VCO+LoopFilter and is not corrected by the PLL. While Long-Term Period Jitter is corrected by the PLL , is dependent on PLL BW & noise contibutions from cpump/pfd/dividers/reference etc.

I want to know this Tsj represents which metric out of these two ?

regards,
Mayank.

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #3 - Dec 14th, 2009, 5:53am

hi mayank,
                i feel it's longtem jitter, because in ADC variation in sampling instant will degrade your SNR, so in this regard long term jitter you have to consider. but in your second post i didn't understand ''Cycle-to-Cycle Period Jitter depends mostly on VCO+LoopFilter and is not corrected by the PLL. While Long-Term Period Jitter is corrected by the PLL , is dependent on PLL BW & noise contibutions from cpump/pfd/dividers/reference etc.''

Thanks,
Rajasekhar.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Reply #4 - Dec 14th, 2009, 5:58am

Mayank wrote on Dec 14th, 2009, 5:26am:
I know this formula,
BUT my doubt is This Tsj is cycle-to-cycle Jitter of the sampling clock ??
OR is Tsj the long-term k-cycle Jitter of the sampling clock ??
None of them.

It is a simple edge-to-edge jitter.

In actual measurement, use reference clock of PLL as trigger signal of oscilloscope.

In EDA Tool Play using small signal noise analysis subjected to large signal steady state analysis,
such absolute jiitter(timing jitter) measurement is possible.
See attached figure of http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1260521995/5#5
I mean "Absolute Jitter" there.

BTW, how do you define "linewidth" in your results of http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1050465395/17#17 ?

« Last Edit: Dec 14th, 2009, 7:16am by pancho_hideboo »  
Mayank
Community Fellow

Reply #5 - Dec 14th, 2009, 7:39am

Hi all,

@ raja : Quote:
because in ADC variation in sampling instant will degrade your SNR

Two Points :--
1.   Variation in each Sampling Instant is Cycle-to-Cycle Jitter.
2.   Variation in a Sampling Instant of a Nth Sample wrt to a particular Sample will fall in Long-Term Jitter.

@ Pancho :  I would like to mention Sir that i am still in designing Phase...Unfortunately, i dont have any test-chip of my design that i can test for. But i will keep your points in mind when i do actual testing. Coming Back to my query,

Quote:
It is a simple edge-to-edge jitter.

Edge-to-Edge Jitter metric is always used in those circuits which are driven by an external clock,in our case the ADC, whose clock comes from the output clock of my PLL. So, The Cycle-to-Cycle Jitter of the PLL Output Clock forms the Edge-to-Edge Jitter for sampling clock of ADC. Is This opinion Correct ???

Two More Questions :---

Also, The Cycle-to-Cycle Jitter of a PLL is given simply by the VCO + LF Phase Noise, as indicated in Ken's Paper http://www.designers-guide.org/Analysis/PLLnoise+jitter.pdf equations (63) & (74) on page on page 31 & 32 respectively. Am i correct ??

When I integrate the output phase noise curve of a PLL & obtain rms phase error & corresponding Jitter in Time domain by multiplying rms Ph. error by Tosc/2/pi ,  What i get is Long-Term PLL Jitter right ??  
This post makes me think i am correct -- http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1236788112/0#5

Quote:
BTW, how do you define "linewidth" in your results of http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1050465395/17#17 ?
This is the Oscillator Line-Width that is indicated by Cadence Spectre in Output Log & also marked as Corner Frequency in a 'Phase Noise' plot in 'pnoise' option of Direct Plot Form....I Just placed a Marker at that Frequency.

--regards,
Mayank.

View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Reply #6 - Dec 14th, 2009, 7:46am

Mayank wrote on Dec 14th, 2009, 7:39am:
Edge-to-Edge Jitter metric is always used in those circuits which are driven by an external clock,
in our case the ADC, whose clock comes from the output clock of my PLL.
So, The Cycle-to-Cycle Jitter of the PLL Output Clock forms the Edge-to-Edge Jitter for sampling clock of ADC. Is This opinion Correct ???
Not correct.
In actual measurement, we can't define absoulte jitter for free-running VCO.
But we can define absoulte jitter for locked state of PLL.

Mayank
Community Fellow

Reply #7 - Dec 14th, 2009, 8:10am

Hi Pancho,

Quote:
In actual measurement, we can't define absoulte jitter for free-running VCO.
But we can define absoulte jitter for locked state of PLL.

I am talking about Locked State of a PLL itself.
Even in the Locked State of a PLL, the Cycle-to-Cycle Jitter is determined by the VCO + LF itself because PLL Loop being slow, say slower than nearly 1000 times the VCO Frequency, cannot correct Cycle-to-Cycle Jitter which is a measure absolute jitter b/w two consecutive time periods.
You can view this as ---> Within PLL BW, PLL Low-Passes & limits Oscillator Jitter. After PLL BW, PLL Phase Noise plot tracks the Oscillator Phase Noise which means that after PLL Loop BW, PLL can't correct the Jiiter
     However, PLL can correct long-term jitter which is average Jitter of a Nth edge wrt to a particular edge, because there the slow PLL Loop corrects & maintains Jitter within Bounds.

Quote:
we can't define absoulte jitter for free-running VCO.

By This statement, i understand that you are referring to Long-Term Jitter as absolute Jitter.
Reasoning for my belief - Because in case of a Free-running VCO, Long-Term Jitter goes Unbounded as there's No Loop/Mechanism to Correct it, as is indicated by the inceasing Pnoise with decreasing Freq Offset in a  Pnoise Plot of Free-running Osci. But in a PLL, this osci pnoise being low-passed is bounded and you can get a limit on Long-Term Jitter. Correct ??

But Anyways, Cycle-to-Cycle Jitter has nothing to do with Integration/accumulation of Jitter & Hence can still be defined for Both.

--
regards,
Mayank.

View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Reply #8 - Dec 14th, 2009, 8:21am

Both cycle-to-cycle Jitter and long-term k-cycle Jitter are Self-referred Jitter.
In actual measurement, this is corresponding to self-triggering in oscilloscope.

Jitter in equation of SNR of ADC is a simple absolute jitter(timing jitter).

Again you can measure absoulte jitter(timing jitter) of locked state PLL with reference clock as reference signal.
In actual measurement, this is corresponding to external-triggering in oscilloscope.
Of course, strictly speaking, this is not true(god true) absolute jitter.

Mayank
Community Fellow

Reply #9 - Dec 14th, 2009, 8:36am

Hello Pancho,

Point understood and taken.
But then if i know the sampling Jitter requirements for the ADC which acc. to you is the simple Timing Jitter wrt an external/reference frequency,   How do i put a spec on PLL output Jitter and which metric should i put a spec on -- Long-Term / Cycle-to-Cycle / Absolute Jitter of a PLL ??  

+  How do i measure absolute Jitter in a PLL in simulations / EDA Tool Play  :P ??   because i am yet not at fab/test-chip stage.

--Mayank.

View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Reply #10 - Dec 14th, 2009, 8:44am

Mayank wrote on Dec 14th, 2009, 8:36am:
+  How do i measure absolute Jitter in a PLL in simulations / EDA Tool Play  :P ??
Use Transient Noise Analysis.
Or invoke transient analysis using behavioral model.
You can estimate timing jitter.

ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Reply #11 - Dec 14th, 2009, 11:45am

Hi guys,

I think this is the best discussion I have ever seen about the this topic, jitter measurement of PLL and sampling jitter of ADC.  

When I test ADC, the signal generator for clock and input are locked together. I think the primary cause is to keep a coherent sampling in the test. If the two signal sources (for clock and signal) has correlated jitter in long term, they will cancel each other partly.

Pancho said,
Quote:
Again you can measure absoulte jitter(timing jitter) of locked state PLL with reference clock as reference signal.
In actual measurement, this is corresponding to external-triggering in oscilloscope.
Of course, strictly speaking, this is not true(god true) absolute jitter.

No, this is not true absolute jitter. It is more like a tracking jitter. The measured jitter depends on the difference between the reference clock and the PLL output.  The big problem is that the tracking jitter isn't what we need in ADC application. In real application, the signal source is not locked to the reference clock of the PLL (sampling clock source).  I mean that the input signal is not related to the sampling clock usually. So only absolute jitter (maybe we can call it long-term jitter, too) play his role to affect ADC SNR. Even the real application is not the same as what we do in the test.

Sad

Best Regards,
Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Reply #12 - Dec 14th, 2009, 2:49pm

ywguo wrote on Dec 14th, 2009, 11:45am:
When I test ADC, the signal generator for clock and input are locked together.
Right.

In real application, the signal source is not locked to the reference clock of the PLL (sampling clock source).  
I mean that the input signal is not related to the sampling clock usually.
Right.

So only absolute jitter (maybe we can call it long-term jitter, too) play his role to affect ADC SNR.
I don't think a definition of "the long-term k-cycle Jitter" is needed for locked PLL.

The big problem is that the tracking jitter isn't what we need in ADC application.
The tracking jitter might not be proper for ADC evaluation.
But it is useful for ADC's real application where the input signal is not related to the sampling clock,
because the reference in actual system is a reference clock of PLL.
There is no reference other than a reference clock of PLL.

We don't have much confusion about direct Jitter Measurement in Time Domain.
But we have much confusion if we estimate it from Frequency Domain Measurement.

« Last Edit: Dec 14th, 2009, 6:09pm by pancho_hideboo »  
Mayank
Community Fellow

Reply #13 - Dec 14th, 2009, 7:22pm

Hello Guys,

So It being said that Absolute Jitter is the correct metric for ADC Sampling clock......How should i compute the absolute Jitter for the PLL, i mean through EDA Tool PLay ??

--
regards,
Mayank

View Profile   IP Logged
Mayank
Community Fellow

Reply #14 - Dec 14th, 2009, 9:10pm

Hi again,
             Continuing the Discussion on which metric of Jitter to use while measuring Sampling Jitter for ADC, Professor Boris Murmann from Stanford , in his course VLSI Conditioning Cirtcuits ee315b, seems to tell otherwise. He seems to point that CYCLE-to-CYCLE JITTER is used a metric for Sampling Jitter.
       In this pdf [-- lectures/reader of this course]
https://ccnet.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/course.cgi?cc=ee315b&action=handout_download&... ,
   On page 98 (lecture 5 slide 31), he gives the formula for SNR due to Aperture Uncertainty, and later in his pdf on page 323 (lecture 19 slide 12), He calculates Cycle-to-Cycle Jitter as a metric for Sampling Jitter.

Any insights ??

@ Pancho & Yawei :--     Also, Why should we Use TRACKING JITTER as a metric for Sampling Clock when we know that the Input Signals has NO CORRELATION Neither to the Reference Clock nor the PLL Output Clock. ??  
     I Guess using Tracking Jitter to define sampling Jitter is wrong. Instead Cycle-to-Cycle Jitter which will give the ABSOLUTE sampling Jitter between two adjacent samples should be used.

--regards,
Mayank.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.