The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 26th, 2024, 12:45pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SSB Phase noise in pnoise analysis (Read 18282 times)
sanjay

SSB Phase noise in pnoise analysis
Jun 05th, 2009, 7:45am

Hi,
whether the direct plot artist plots SSB phase noise or DSB phase noise?
and how it internally(formula) calculates phase noise from pss & pnoise analysis?
Thank you.

View Profile   IP Logged
Mayank
Community Fellow

Re: SSB Phase noise in pnoise analysis
Reply #1 - Jun 7th, 2009, 8:43am

Hello Sanjay,
                     Cadence design artist plots SSB phase Noise....directly in dBc ... to get magnitude plots, you can use output noise option.

- mayank.

View Profile   IP Logged
Forum Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Reply #2 - Jun 7th, 2009, 2:38pm

I believe the term "SSB phase noise", which presumably means "Single-Side Band phase noise" is a non-sequitur. You need both sidebands to have phase noise. If you do not have both sidebands, it is just noise.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Mayank
Community Fellow

Reply #3 - Jun 8th, 2009, 10:06pm

Yes, you need both side bands for phase noise calculation. But both the side bands are equal in magnitude. So if you are using cadence, then the formula you use to calculate jitter must incorporate a factor of 2 to convert L(phi) to S(phi). If you are using eldo to calculate S(phi) , then you dont need to multiply by 2.

-mayank.

View Profile   IP Logged
Mayank
Community Fellow

Reply #4 - Jun 9th, 2009, 12:30am

Hello Pancho_hideboo,
                                     I didnt understand the context of your reply properly. Is my assertion that both side bands are equal in magnitude, is not correct  OR is the statement that cadence artist plot-->  direct plot --> phase noise shows SSB phase noise i.e. L(phi), is wrong ?  

According to me, the actual phase noise plot will be 3dB more degraded than L(phi) one. So we can compensate it while calculating jitter by adding a factor of 2..Tell me if i am right or wrong ???

-mayank.

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #5 - Jun 9th, 2009, 1:13am

It might be helpful to review http://www.designers-guide.org/Theory/cyclo-preso.pdf. This paper shows how modulation effects result in correlations in the upper and lower sidebands, and how those correlations result in AM and PM components in the noise. If you are looking at Lssb, then you are only looking at one sideband, and so you cannot know from that alone if there is AM or PM modulation. With close-in noise in oscillators, the noise is almost always dominated by phase noise, so people often refer to Lssb as phase noise, but formally Lssb is not phase noise, it is normalized noise.

-Ken

pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Reply #6 - Jun 9th, 2009, 4:32am

Mayank wrote on Jun 9th, 2009, 12:30am:
Is my assertion that both side bands are equal in magnitude, is not correct ?
According to me, the actual phase noise plot will be 3dB more degraded than L(phi) one.
So we can compensate it while calculating jitter by adding a factor of 2.
Tell me if i am right or wrong ???

Not correct.

LSSB(f) is small signal mixing noise, that is, sideband noise which include both AM and PM noises.
LSSB(f) is composed of LLSB(f) and LUSB(f).
They are not equal. But they are almost same.

SΦ(f) is PM noise. This has no sideband.

SΦ(f) is approximately twice of LLSB(f) or LUSB(f).

But strictly speaking, LSSB(f) is different from SΦ(f) physically and conceptually.

Almost all current commercial RF simulators give PM and AM noises separately.

For example, Agilent GoldenGate give SΦ(f) as "pnmx" directly.
Here we don't have to multiply "pnmx" by two to get SΦ(f).
Note : "pnmx" of Agilent GoldenGate is twice of "pnmx" of Agilent ADSsim.
And GoldenGate also give LLSB(f) and LUSB(f) as "side_band_left" and "side_band_right" respectively.

In Cadence Spectre Pnoise Analysis,

For noisetype="sources",
you can get Phase Noise in "pnoise of Direct Plot Form" as LUSB(f) if you use postive offset frequency value.

For noisetype="jitter" or "modulated",
you can get  LLSB(f), LUSB(f), AM noise, PM noise in "pnoise modulated of Direct Plot Form",
and also you can get Phase Noise in "pnoise jitter of Direct Plot Form" as true SΦ(f).

Here this PM noise is 0.5*SΦ(f) which is same as "pnmx" of Agilent ADSsim.
Phase Noise in "pnoise jitter of Direct Plot Form" is about 3dB larger value than LUSB(f).
But this is not 2*LUSB(f). This is true SΦ(f).
Here we don't have to multiply Phase Noise in "pnoise jitter of Direct Plot Form" by two to get SΦ(f) as same as in Agilent GoldenGate.

« Last Edit: Jun 10th, 2009, 12:13am by pancho_hideboo »  
View Profile WWW Top+Secret Top+Secret   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #7 - Jul 10th, 2009, 5:56am

Personally I think we should have the direct plot form change the prompt from "Phase Noise" to "Output noise in dBc" when using "sources" noiseType...

But it's not happened yet. In the meantime I always explain this to users when I am talking about the various noise outputs from SpectreRF.

Andrew.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.