The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 25th, 2024, 10:14pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
voltage controlled cap (Read 12492 times)
timmy38

voltage controlled cap
Jul 15th, 2008, 2:20am

Hi
I'm looking for some info about how to use the voltage controlled current source vccs of the cadence analoglib as a voltage controlled capacitor. Is there a way to use it with equations such as C=C0/sqrt(Vctrl) ?
I looked in the Analoglib Reference Guide but there are no information about that.
thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: voltage controlled cap
Reply #1 - Jul 15th, 2008, 7:30am

In general you are much better off using Verilog-A for this kind of thing. A process for doing that is described in www.designers-guide.org/Modeling/varactors.pdf.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #2 - Jul 15th, 2008, 7:54am

Hi Timmy,

in general it should be possible also in an analog circuit simulation program to model such a behaviour.
Question: Should it be (1) a real device which can be built or (2) only a behavioural model for simulation purposes ?
To (1): At first, an active capacitance multiplier using an opamp has come into my mind. In such a case, one of the resistors determining the multiplication factor has to be controlled by an external voltage.
However, an additional complication is the required square root relationship.  
To (2): Something like a voltage controlled current source with a frequency dependent current should be realizable. However, I think it gives only a grounded capacitor. Is that a problem ?

LvW (buddypoor: In memory of the great late Buddy Rich)
View Profile   IP Logged
timmy38

Reply #3 - Jul 15th, 2008, 8:50am

Hi
Thanks for the link Ken.
This is actually for a behavioural model only used in simulation, so a voltage controlled current source should do. I tried to do it with the analoglib vccs but didn't quite understood how it works. Could you help me?

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #4 - Jul 15th, 2008, 10:53am

I am trying to help you. I recommend that you read http://www.designers-guide.org/Modeling/varactors.pdf and then use Verilog-A. You will likely save yourself a lot of trouble if you do.

-Ken

buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #5 - Jul 15th, 2008, 2:00pm

timmy38 wrote on Jul 15th, 2008, 2:20am:
...... Is there a way to use it with equations such as C=C0/sqrt(Vctrl) ?

Hi timmy,

attached please find a pdf document showing a schematic which I just have simulated with ORCAD/PSpice. This circuit with an analog behavioural model of a voltage controlled capacitor using a VCCS meets exact your requirements. The circuit constitutes a simple RC filter with a cutoff at 1 kHz. You can vary this frequency via Vc with a squareroot function - as desired. However, I donīt know if it is possible with your program as well. But it works.
Regards

LvW (buddypoor: In memory of the great late Buddy Rich)
View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #6 - Jul 16th, 2008, 4:26am

Wow, you guys really have a stubborn streak!  Ken was trying to help you, and that document about modeling varactors also gives some hints on bad formulations that can cause convergence problems.  Verilog-A is a language for writing what you want for simulation, I don't know what you think it is ...

Anyway, your model needs to be written in terms of charge (see the document for why!), and would look like this:

Code:
`include "discipline.h"
module timmy(t, b);
  inout t, b;
  electrical t,b;
  parameter real C0 = 1p from (0:inf);
  real charge;

analog begin
    charge = 2 * C0 * sqrt(V(t,b));
    I(t, b) <+ ddt( charge );
  end
endmodule 

Note that capacitance (for a (nonlinear) capacitor is dQ/dV, so this model has the dependence you asked for.

Wasn't that simple?

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
timmy38

Reply #7 - Jul 16th, 2008, 5:46am

Yes thank  you guys for the help, Ken's document was very helpful.
I'll try to model it in Verilog A, I'll let  you know if I manage to do it or if I have some other problems because I'm a beginner in this language.
Bye then.

View Profile   IP Logged
timmy38

Reply #8 - Jul 16th, 2008, 5:59am

Thanks also for the file buddypoor, but I expect to simulate my model with spectre in Cadence, so I think that to model it with Verilog A is a better solution because I can't find informations about the vccs in Cadence. Thanks for bothering anyway.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.