The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 28th, 2024, 4:27am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ron in Spectre = 1/gds in HSPICE??? (Read 11156 times)
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
ron in Spectre = 1/gds in HSPICE???
Apr 10th, 2007, 8:12pm

Hi, Guys,

I want to know the output resistance of a MOSFET which is in saturation region.

In Virtuoso Analog Design Environment, choose Results -> Print -> DC Operating Points, then select the MOSFET in schematic, the related operating point parameters is shown in Results Display Window. It reports ron = 36.0259K.

I take a look at the definition of ron using spectre -h bsim3. ron (Ohm)  is  On-resistance.

However, I simulate using SPICE again.  As well known, .op statement gives all parameters of MOSFETs. There gds = 2.034e-7. So rds = 1/gds = 4.916 MOhm.

What's wrong with my simulation?

BTW, I apply a test voltage source at the drain of the MOSFET and run ac simulation using Spectre and SPICE respectively. SPICE gives a reasonable result of the drain current. However, Spectre's result is eccentric. I display the drain current using signal to results display table. Some points is infinity  :( , especially at high frequencies.

Best regards,

Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: ron in Spectre = 1/gds in HSPICE???
Reply #1 - Apr 11th, 2007, 7:03am

I had a quick experiment here, and I did a sweep of VDS for a fixed VGDS and then plotted ron and ids/xval(ids) (the calculator expression was actually:
Code:
(xval(getData("m1:ids" ?result "myanal-dcAnalysis.dc")) / getData("m1:ids" ?result "myanal-dcAnalysis.dc")) 

which should show the resistance (IDS divided by VDS) and this is identical to ron. The 1/gds was higher.

Didn't have time to investigate the AC results you describe.

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #2 - Apr 12th, 2007, 4:25am

Andrew Beckett wrote on Apr 11th, 2007, 7:03am:
the resistance (IDS divided by VDS) and this is identical to ron. The 1/gds was higher.

Note that gds is the partial derivative of Ids with respect to Vds, sometimes called the "small-signal conductance."  ron in Andrew's experiment is sometimes called a "large-signal resistance" and is the slope of the line connecting (0,0) with (Vds,Ids), rather than the slope of the tangent line at (Vds,Ids).  I believe what you want for the "output resistance" is 1/gds, NOT ron, because you care about the incremental change in Ids with respect to Vds.

I'm surprised to hear of infinite values in your results table.  Are you sure you have it set up correctly?

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Reply #3 - Apr 12th, 2007, 6:07am

Geoffray,

You are right. I don't care the large signal resistance,  but the small signal output impedance of a MOS transistor/current source.

The online help of spectre lacks of detail information and definition for the parametes. It looks that ron is on-resistance. However, it doesn't tell users that is defined as VDS divided by IDS.

About the infinity value in my results table, I will check my circuit and post the schematic later.

Thank you, Geoffrey and Andrew.
Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.