The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 3rd, 2024, 12:08pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
JFET vs. MOSFET vs. BJT (Read 32436 times)
vivkr
Community Fellow

JFET vs. MOSFET vs. BJT
Nov 02nd, 2006, 6:07am

Hi,

I was wondering why the JFET which found some usage in ICs until the 70s (used in low-noise opamp front-ends) has all but disappeared, and was trying to chalk up the pros and cons of the 3 principal devices that can be fabricated and I have the following chart:

Property                   BJT                    MOS                 JFET

Gm/I                       Best                   Worst               Moderate
Conduction              Bulk                   Surface             Bulk
Speed                     High                   Medium             Low
Noise                      Moderate            Worst                Best
Good switch            No                       Yes                  Yes
High-Z gate             No                      Yes                   Yes
Scaling                    Not much            Best                 Not much
ESD                        less sensitive      Most                  Less

From the above, I see that one could potentially use a JFET for sampled-data systems which are
the backbone of modern analog. The JFET does not scale well like the BJT and so is at a commercial
disadvantage, which is one of the only advantages that MOS has along with High-Z gate (also in JFET)
and offset-free switching. Also, since JFETs are bulk conduction devices, they ought to suffer less from
1/f noise due to surface states.

Are there any other factors that are relevant? I am thinking in terms of an analog process and not a digital
one. I think fabrication of JFETs is not particularly harder than that of MOSFETs, but I may be wrong as I
do not really know if the simplest CMOS circuits (inverters) are realizable with an equal ease with JFETs
and if they provide similar degree of performance (speed/average power).

Regards
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: JFET vs. MOSFET vs. BJT
Reply #1 - Nov 2nd, 2006, 12:38pm

My company (Analog Devices) makes a number of low-noise, low input-current precision amplifiers with JFET input stages...

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #2 - Nov 2nd, 2006, 11:08pm

Hi Geoffrey,

I am aware that ADI does make some JFET-input amps. Also, some other companies make low-noise opamps with JFET input stages. But why do we (almost) never hear of the humble JFET in the technical literature. It is only BiCMOS or CMOS? Perhaps you or someone else could tell me more. From what I see, it seems that the JFET might outperform CMOS for some analog applications and be useful for sampled-data systems.

I am looking at ways to compare analog processes from different foundries, and I am wondering if adding a JFET to an analog process is not worth it, and if so, then what are the limitations that one must bear in mind.

Thanks for your feedback.

Regards
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #3 - Nov 3rd, 2006, 3:26am

Our JFETs are (all?) on internal bipolar processes, not on bulk/fine-line cmos.  But I don't to process development, so I don't know how easy or hard it would be to add a JFET to a CMOS process.  Maybe you need extra masks because you can't just use the existing implants to make a good jfet.  I wouldn't think there'd be any thermal cycling or such issues, where something you need for a jfet would degrade the mosfets.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
Croaker

Reply #4 - Nov 21st, 2006, 8:18pm

I'd say MOS is used as often as possible because it's cheap and refined thanks to digital IC volumes.  Also, analog circuits often have to co-exist with the digital ones.

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #5 - Nov 27th, 2006, 12:47pm

I got curious on this one and had to go ask a friend --- His reply --

I "think" it is because JFETs don't scale very well. The parasitic capacitance of the gate junction is prohibitive at small geometries. So, below about one micron, their performance is  really poor. And then chopper stabilization techniques meant you could have good 1/f noise without them using MOSFETs

I think in a few years no one will know what a JFET is anymore.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
Croaker

Reply #6 - Nov 27th, 2006, 2:36pm

loose-electron wrote on Nov 27th, 2006, 12:47pm:
I got curious on this one and had to go ask a friend --- His reply --

I "think" it is because JFETs don't scale very well. The parasitic capacitance of the gate junction is prohibitive at small geometries. So, below about one micron, their performance is  really poor. And then chopper stabilization techniques meant you could have good 1/f noise without them using MOSFETs

I think in a few years no one will know what a JFET is anymore.

I have the 3rd ed. of Gray & Meyer and JFETs are covered as much or more than MOSFETs.  The 4th ed. doesn't mention them (at all, I think).

I won't shed any tears over JFETs.  The emphasis on bipolar is down as well.

Weren't JFETs losing popularity before 1u?  Were they ever used for digital circuits?

View Profile   IP Logged
carlgrace

Berkeley, CA
Reply #7 - Jan 3rd, 2007, 12:28pm

The output stage of a CCD imager is functionally equivalent to a JFET, so I don't see them vanishing too soon.

View Profile   IP Logged
didac

There's a million
ways to see the
things in life

manresa,spain
Reply #8 - Jan 4th, 2007, 12:58am

Hi to all,

Years ago I asked the same question to my advisor here in the research group at University(we only use CMOS processes and from time to time BJT). He's answer was that technology follow market needs. Customer want low-cost IC's for consumer electronics(most of them digital) so the foundries refines their digital CMOS processes and after they got a good process they supply analog processes based in that tech. Also it's cheaper to try to do all the cicuits in the same process so you can easily integrate the full system in the same Die. for example we are currently working in UWB at 8GHz and we are using CMOS although it will be easier to design using a SiGe process but we need to integrate the digital part after the RF-Front end.

Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #9 - Jan 4th, 2007, 5:35am

vivkr wrote on Nov 2nd, 2006, 11:08pm:
I am aware that ADI does make some JFET-input amps. Also, some other companies make low-noise opamps with JFET input stages.

I think that low-noise is key.  I would guess that JFETs have lower noise because they conduct through bulk silicon and don't have the Si/SiO2 interface that creates traps that affect the conduction through the mosfet's channel.

Chopper stabilization techniques (and/or correlated double-sampling) may add too much complexity or affect the op-amp's transfer function in the band of interest.  There are still a lot of applications where you really just want a simple op-amp.

carlgrace

Berkeley, CA
Reply #10 - Jan 4th, 2007, 6:26am

Quote:
I would guess that JFETs have lower noise because they conduct through bulk silicon and don't have the Si/SiO2 interface that creates traps that affect the conduction through the mosfet's channel.

This is correct Geoffrey.  In fact, JFETs have such low 1/f noise it can be difficult to measure without specialized equipment.  The dominant noise source in JFETs is charge fluctuation in the R-G centers in the JFET gate junction.  This noise level is much lower than a typical MOSFET and about on par with a BJT.  Another key difference between the JFET and the MOSFET is the JFET has a larger gm, which reduces the noise impact of the op amp's second stage (and perhaps first stage active load).  So if you want a low noise op amp to be used in an application with a high source impedance, the JFET is the device of choice.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.