The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 3rd, 2024, 10:04pm
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Positive values of phase noise in dBc/Hz?? (Read 7557 times)
Tommy

Positive values of phase noise in dBc/Hz??
Dec 03rd, 2004, 5:49pm

Hi,
   I carried out a PNoise simulation on a ring VCO I have. The plot I got was typical to the phase noise plot of a VCO, but It gives positive values of phase noise in dBc/Hz for offset of 1Hz to about 500Hz relative to the carrier. The corner frequency of the CMOS process is around 100k.
1. Is positive values meaningful & can it be expected
   if the design is'nt very good?
2. If yes, is these positive values of phase noise going to
   greatly affect the measured phase jitter?

Regards
Tom

IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Re: Positive values of phase noise in dBc/Hz??
Reply #1 - Dec 3rd, 2004, 11:09pm

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
HighwayStar

Reply #2 - Apr 26th, 2005, 12:54pm

I also get similar response when i use the Matlab script given in "Predicting the Phase noise and Jitter ...." tutorial. ???

IP Logged
Nick

Reply #3 - Jun 2nd, 2005, 10:15am

Hi!
I am experiencing too the presence of positive phase noise values in Cadence.

I went through the link Frank suggested, the tutorial and Egan's book, that Eugene suggests. My problem is this. Sphi is everywhere referred to as power spectral density, so the units should be V2/Hz. However the equation L=Sphi/2 doesn’t make sense in terms of units. If L is 1/Hz than Sphi should be too. Also, this is exactly what Egan suggests. His deviation at page 305 (noted as greek sigma) is actually a ratio of the amplitudes of the noise and the signal. So...he has already taken into account the Power Ratio in the Sphi. Egan's phi has units of 1/Hz. Why is Sphi then referred to as spectral density?

Apart from this, if Cadence is plotting L as given by equation 26 of the tutorial, I fail to understand how it comes up with positive values in phase noise. It seems like it is not subtracting (in dBs) the power of the carrier. Do u think this is the case? Could you help me solve this?

Nick
View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #4 - Jun 2nd, 2005, 11:48am

Nick,
   Check out page 31 of http://www.designers-guide.org/Theory/cyclo-preso.pdf.

The term "Power Spectral Density" implies the spectral density of a power-like quantity, in the case of Sphi, the units are radians2/Hz, which is power-like because it is in terms of radians2 rather than radians. In this case, the power-like quanity is not a true power.

-Ken

Nick

Reply #5 - Jun 3rd, 2005, 2:14am

This has been quite enlightning.
So, Cadence cannot figure out the corner frequency. Is there a way to estimate with Cadence the corner frequency so I know up to which point I can trust  the simulation? And a last thing. If what Cadence plots is Sv, and not L, then if I want to get ''phase noise'' normalized to the power of the fundamental, I still have to subtract (meaning in dB) the power of the carrier from what I see in Pnoise , isn't it?

Nick
View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #6 - Jun 3rd, 2005, 8:35am

Nick,
   Just so we are clear, the inability to compute the corner frequency is a weakness shared by all simulators that use small-signal assumtions in their noise analysis. Thus it is not just Cadence's simulator SpectreRF that has this characteristic, it is shared by all commercial RF simulators.

You can estimate the corner frequency by using the fact that the total area under the noise curve must equal oscillator output power (noise in phase does not add power to the signal, it simply redistributes the power in frequency). So if Pout is the output power and you can model the noise with a/(1+fc2/f2), then you solve for a by matching the model to the noise at frequencies above the corner, and then you solve for fc using Pout = a/(1+fc2/f2).

Artist does compute L, the normalized noise. This is what you get when you ask for "phase noise" when using the basic PNoise analysis (when you have not gone to the trouble of specifically asking Spectre to compute the PM and AM components to the noise).

-Ken

Nick

Reply #7 - Jun 6th, 2005, 7:19am

Ken,
I haven't resolved yet the corner frequency issue. I have more questions, but I will give you numbers this time to be more exact. My PSS gives me a differential voltage peak to peak amplitude of 250 mV. For a relative Harmonic 1, maximum sidebands 20 and a Beat Frequ equal to my oscillation frequ, I get the following results from pnoise analysis:

Phase noise (dBc/Hz): -18 dBc/Hz@1 KHz and -74 dBc/Hz@100 KHz

Output noise(A/sqrt(Hz)):-45 A/sqrt(Hz)@1 KHz and -102 A/sqrt(Hz)@100 KHz

My questions are these:
1) What does exactly output noise represent? Is it PM+AM noise? If that is the case, then shouldn't it have a 3 dB difference from the phase noise graph? I am getting an offset, but not a 3dB one.

2)My phase noise graph is exacly the same as the output noise one, but with an offset of about 28 dBs in this case. Is there a specific relation between these two graphs, like a scaling factor related to their units, or a normalization factor maybe related to my carrier? Can I somehow do the maths do get one graph from the other given the numbers I have from my PSS?

Finally, also my output noise gets positive dB values, and as you can see from the numbers above, it seems to be bigger than phase noise. I am guessing again a scaling factor or a normalization. Could you please help?

Thanks!

Nick
View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #8 - Jun 6th, 2005, 9:45am

Nick,
1. Given the units of dBc/Hz, I would say that you used Artist to compute these number and did not use the new AM/PM noise capabilities. When you ask Artist to compute the "phase noise", what it really gives you is the normalized noise, or Sv/Vout.

The numbers you give for output noise are nonsensical for two reasons. First, the numbers look like they are in dB, but you do not indicate they are in dB. Let's assume they are. The second problem is that the noise is measured in A/rt(Hz) while the output is described as being in terms of volts. This prevents the computing of the normalized noise.

2. The phase noise and the output noise should differ by a constant factor because the reported phase noise (which is actually L, the normalized noise) equals the output noise power divided by the output power.

3. At low frequencies SpectreRF will report the normalized noise L as being greater than 1 (positive in dB). That only occurs when the frequency you choose is below the corner frequency. As such, it is not real.

-Ken

Nick

Reply #9 - Jun 7th, 2005, 3:17am

Ken,

thanks for the tips.
My output noise is indeed in dB. However, I have no choice over its units. l looked up the examples of Cadence and output noise is measured in V/sqrt(Hz).
Why am I getting A/sqrt(Hz)?

Thanks,
Nick

Nick
View Profile   IP Logged
Eugene

Reply #10 - Jun 7th, 2005, 10:16am

I have noticed the same problem with units. I select output voltage, click on a node, then see A/sqrt(Hz) dispayed. The numbers seem to make sense if I simply replace "A" with "V". Personally, I suspect it's a display bug but it would be nice to hear from Cadence on this one.

View Profile   IP Logged
Nick

Reply #11 - Jun 7th, 2005, 10:55am

Thanks Eugene!
I verified that phase noise by pnoise is just ouput noise divided by the power of the carrier.

Back to the original problem now. I get positive dB values in my phase noise analysis (the simple phase noise performed by pnoise). I understand the problem with corner frequency, but do you think there is any chance of getting more realistic values by oversampling in my PSS analysis? Also, the way I have been doing things so far, PM noise analysis gives me far bigger values than phase noise (from pnoise). Any ideas?

Nick
View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #12 - Jun 7th, 2005, 2:36pm

Nick,
   Just to be clear, when you say phase noise, you mean L as computed with the standard PNoise analysis. When you say PM noise, you mean Sph as computed using the new AM/PM capabilities of PNoise. Correct?

Remember that L = Sv/Pout. Also remember that it is Sv that has the corner, not Sph. Thus for low frequencies, Sph >> L. Above the corner, Sph and L should be within a factor of two of each other. If they are not, that is an indication something is going wrong.

-Ken

Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #13 - Jun 8th, 2005, 7:00am

Nick,
   I misspoke in my last post. What I said was true when working with measured results, however Sv as produced by the simulator does not have the corner. So L = 1/2 Sph (eq. 27 from http://www.designers-guide.org/Analysis/PLLnoise+jitter.pdf) for all frequencies where the phase noise dominates.

-Ken

Nick

Reply #14 - Jun 8th, 2005, 9:12am

Hi again,

Ken thanks. You were crystal clear.

I was expecting too something like a constant 3dB difference between my pnoise-Phase Noise and my PM noise. Let me explain a bit.

I do pnoise analysis from freq offset 100Hz up to 100MHz. Then I ask cadence to plot PM and AM noise. What I get as a plot (by default) is AM and PM from frequ offset of 10MHz and above. The plot is nothing but a straight horizontal line. Despite the graph being wrong, AM and PM are equal for the plotted range of frequencies.

If I manually ask it to show me the waveforms for the whole range of freq I have simulated (i.e. for freq 100 Hz till 100 MHz) I get the 3dB difference as expected, but only at the very beginning of the waveforms. Meaning, if I simulate from 1Hz to 100 MHz, I will see that 3dB difference only at 1Hz. If I simulate from 10 KHz to 100 MHz, I will see that difference at 10 KHz.

What happens afterwards is this. My PM noise drops with a big slope, forming a notch and rises up again to a value of about 10 dBs lower to the initial value it has. It then maintains that value for the rest of the frequencies. What Cadence actually shows me when I plot the graph is the part right after the notch, when AM and PM have settled to that value. Both PM and AM keep that value for the rest of the frequencies simulated, resulting in that horizontal line on my plot. To this I should add that the y-value of this horizontal line varies depending on the frequ from which I start the pnoise simulation.

To sum up: the only correct part of the graph is at its beginning, where I get the 3 dB difference. Whatever is wrong, I am guessing that it is the reason why cadence by default chooses not to plot the peculiar part of the graph. I don’t get any error messages. However, I think it is somehow related to the fact that I start my oscillator with a damped vsin. What do you think of all this?

Nick

Nick
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.