The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 4th, 2024, 3:00pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to design an antenna, from one-port device to two-port device? (Read 4820 times)
Jack

How to design an antenna, from one-port device to two-port device?
Oct 23rd, 2009, 8:50am

Dear All,

I have one question about the antenna design and its matrix file.

Usually the exported file of antenna is .s1p, it means it is only one-port device. If I want to import the antenna into Cadence use N2port to simulate. Then I will need a two-port device (input port and output port).

Does anybody know how to design an antenna with the S-paramter matrix as two-port device .s2p ? Or maybe convert the .s1p to .s2p format?

Thank you very much!

Jack

View Profile   IP Logged
Jack

Re: How to design an antenna, from one-port device to two-port device?
Reply #1 - Oct 24th, 2009, 5:12am

according to the definition in ADS or in HFSS, one antenna can only get the S11, then only one-port device. In this case it is very difficult to simulate the antenna with LNA.

But suppose if the antenna is connecting with LNA, and the one-port antenna as the terminal port. Then I add the input signal port to the LNA. Then I can test the performance of antenna and LNA.

The challenge is how to invert the S11?

Any comments are appreciated.

Jack

View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Re: How to design an antenna, from one-port device to two-port device?
Reply #2 - Nov 2nd, 2009, 11:13pm

I think your post is not design issue but no more than usage of simulator.
And completely same question is included in your another post.
http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1255340427

Jack wrote on Oct 23rd, 2009, 8:50am:
If I want to import the antenna into Cadence use N2port to simulate. Then I will need a two-port device (input port and output port).
What do you mean by "Cadence" ?
Use correct terminologies with full description.
Even if you mean ADE of Cadence, there are many simulator engines available in Cadence ADE.

Why do you want to use s2p in antenna design even if you include LNA ?
I don't think s2p is not needed at all since you don't study RX/TX link budget. Your concern is only RX.

Jack wrote on Oct 24th, 2009, 5:12am:
The challenge is how to invert the S11?
I don't think any remarkable challenge is required in your needs.
And what do you mean by "invert the S11" ?

"s1p" is an output impedance of antenna since a common antenna is reciprocal.
Your need is to implement this output impedance as port's impedance.

Usually open voltage(EMF Voltage) or power delivered to 50ohm load is specified for RX antenna.
Do you understand a definition of antenna gain surely ?
Antenna gain is relative value where gain is defined as comparison with reference antenna.

If you use Agilent ADS or RFDE, use "P1_Tone" and "DAC" components in "adsLib" where you can specify both available power and port impedance as table.
Here you have to convert s1p to z1p. In this environment, you can specify EMF voltage or available power correctly even if EMF voltage or available power is frequency dependent and a real part of impedance is not constant regarding frequency.

If you use Agilent GoldenGate or Cadence Spectre, invoke series connection of "vsource" and "n1port" components in "analogLib".
It is almost impossible to specify EMF voltage or available power correctly in this environment since EMF voltage or available power is frequency dependent and a real part of impedance is not constant regarding frequency.

« Last Edit: Nov 3rd, 2009, 7:12am by pancho_hideboo »  
View Profile WWW Top+Secret Top+Secret   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.