The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 1st, 2024, 5:25pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
sample and hold (Read 182 times)
safwatonline

sample and hold
Jan 06th, 2008, 6:35am

i am new to VHDL-AMS and i am trying to model a sample and hold block in time domain.
i made this code but it aint working any hints please !
Quote:
LIBRARY IEEE_PROPOSED;
USE IEEE_PROPOSED.ELECTRICAL_SYSTEMS.ALL;
library ieee;
use ieee.math_real.all;
use IEEE.std_logic_1164.all;
ENTITY tro_sh IS
PORT
(
     terminal vin, vout, vss: electrical;
     signal clk : in std_logic
);
END tro_sh;

ARCHITECTURE arch OF tro_sh IS
quantity vi across ii through vin to vss;
quantity vo across vout to vss;
signal samp : real :=0.0;
BEGIN
sampling:process
begin
wait until (clk'event and clk= '1');
     samp <= vi;
end process sampling;
     vo == samp;
break on clk;
END arch;

View Profile   IP Logged
mikej

Re: sample and hold
Reply #1 - Jan 8th, 2008, 11:38am

Try using the zero-order hold ('zoh) attribute, which is essentially a sample-hold function. The attribute can be used with any quantity and has the following syntax:

Q'zoh(T,initial_delay)

where "Q" is the quantity to be sampled, "T" is the sampling interval, and "initial_delay" is the delay before the first sample is taken. The result of the command is a quantity of the same type as Q. Time T must be a static expression of type real and greater than 0.0. Initial_delay must be a static expression of type real and non-negative. If you don't need a delay before the first sample is taken, you can use the following syntax:

Q'zoh(T)

View Profile   IP Logged
safwatonline

Reply #2 - Jan 9th, 2008, 12:18pm

Thanks for ur answer, but i want the model to sample the analog input quantity when a clock signal coming from another terminal arrives i.e. i want to sample on the edge of a signal coming from a terminal and not at fixed period.

View Profile   IP Logged
Sameer Kher

Reply #3 - Jan 10th, 2008, 1:48pm

The code looks ok for what you are trying to do. Perhaps the problem is elsewhere? What results do you get?

BTW, the electrical systems package has been standardized for a while now (no longer proposed). You should use
LIBRARY IEEE;
USE IEEE.ELECTRICAL_SYSTEMS.ALL;

Hope this helps.
Thanks,
Sameer

View Profile   IP Logged
safwatonline

Reply #4 - Jan 11th, 2008, 6:19am

Sameer Kher wrote on Jan 10th, 2008, 1:48pm:
The code looks ok for what you are trying to do. Perhaps the problem is elsewhere? What results do you get?

BTW, the electrical systems package has been standardized for a while now (no longer proposed). You should use
LIBRARY IEEE;
USE IEEE.ELECTRICAL_SYSTEMS.ALL;

Hope this helps.
Thanks,
Sameer

the output is not following the input , it is zero and doesnt change either with the clock or input

View Profile   IP Logged
didac

There's a million
ways to see the
things in life

manresa,spain
Reply #5 - Jan 11th, 2008, 6:59am

Hi,
Haven't work with behavioral description for a while but I think that you should include the clk signal inside the sensible list of process(if not included I think that it will never activate):
process(clk) begin
end process;
Hope it helps,

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Sameer Kher

Reply #6 - Jan 11th, 2008, 1:28pm

didac, all,

With VHDL-AMS, you either specify the process sensitivity list or have appropriate wait statements to ensure that your process is correctly triggered. So the code should work.

Perhaps you can verify that the problem is indeed only in the S&H model by using it by itself (assuming you are using it in a system). It may be an implementation bug in the software.

Good luck,
Sameer

View Profile   IP Logged
safwatonline

Reply #7 - Jan 12th, 2008, 9:11am

Sameer Kher wrote on Jan 11th, 2008, 1:28pm:
didac, all,

With VHDL-AMS, you either specify the process sensitivity list or have appropriate wait statements to ensure that your process is correctly triggered. So the code should work.

Perhaps you can verify that the problem is indeed only in the S&H model by using it by itself (assuming you are using it in a system). It may be an implementation bug in the software.

Good luck,
Sameer

yep, it is not working by itself,
maybe someone can share a working sample and hold code
thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.