The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 28th, 2024, 8:26pm
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Input Matching (Read 391 times)
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Input Matching
Nov 21st, 2007, 7:34am

Hi all,

just thought i'd get some opinions here. The question is do we really need to match the 50 ohm antenna to receiver input? The only reason I can think of is if you have an off-chip band-select filter, you need to match it to 50 ohm to ensure the proper frequency response. Any response is welcome.

thanks,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Re: Input Matching
Reply #1 - Nov 21st, 2007, 8:12am

Radiation resistance of Lamda/2 dipole anttena is 73ohm.
Holded dipoe is about 300ohm.
Radiation resistance of monopole anttena and inverted F anttena is lesser than 50ohm.
Slot anttena impedance is very high.
To some extent, you can tune of anttena impedance, for example close to 50ohm by offset feeding or adjusting short post of inverted F.
But you can't control impedance of antenna freely.
If antenna resistance is small, gain of anttena is also small.

I don't think 50ohm is necessary as matching reference impedance for anttena with not 50ohm impedance.
So if you can connect LNA to anttena directly without feeder line, you should matching like following.

http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1065493598

View Profile WWW Top+Secret Top+Secret   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #2 - Nov 21st, 2007, 6:24pm

Hi,

thanks for the reply. So basically antennas don't really get 50 ohm impedance at all. So we should consider the antenna we are using first...

Actually after some discussion with colleagues it seems the 50 ohm antenna impedance is more a concern of the transmitter side. I.E we need to have a well defined antenna impedance to get the maximum power transfer from the PA to the antenna.

If we have a TR switch, however, it seems like we should be able to do away with 50 ohm matching on the receiver side as long as there is some kind of out-of-band filtering...

thanks,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Reply #3 - Nov 21st, 2007, 9:45pm

Antenna is reciprocal in TX and RX.
So impedance is same for both TX and RX.

But if you connect BPF of 50ohm, you have to match with 50ohm.
Commercial product's RF BPF is almost 50ohm.

« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2007, 7:22am by pancho_hideboo »  
Mak

Reply #4 - Nov 27th, 2007, 3:52am

I believe 50ohm input impedance is very important for RX even there is no RF filter in between, because when you are connecting the chip to the antenna, you should design a transmission line (TL). If the input impedance of the RX and the (TL) are both 50ohm, the length of the TL can be choose freely, i.e., it matches the practical situation that the chip-design company won't know how their customer in selecting the length of the TL in connecting their antenna.

Just my small opinion.

Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Reply #5 - Nov 27th, 2007, 4:51am

50ohm is just for easy design purpose.
This is because actual RF instruments are designed as 50ohm impedance.
Design and measurement are very easy if you set all interface impedances are 50ohm.
So if IC customer doesn't have enough design ability, 50ohm is very preferable for such customer.
But this is very classical or traditional method.

Of course, loss of rf coaxial cabel is minimum around 50ohm characteristics impedance.

But generally 50ohm is not best impedance for both LNA and PA if we consider gain, NF, distortion(ACPR), power efficiency, etc.
Assume integrated design of IC and Antenna, such as RF module, we don't need 50ohm at all.
Here 50ohm feeder line is not required.

So Integrated anttena and  miliwave IC with on chip antenna don't need 50ohm.

Even in relative low frequency, folded dipole and loop anttena is not feeded by 50ohm line
when balanced feeding.

« Last Edit: Nov 27th, 2007, 7:58pm by pancho_hideboo »  
RFICInDaHouse

Reply #6 - Dec 1st, 2007, 6:32pm

To recapitulate,

you need a well defined LNA input impedance to:

1_ Terminate a preceding SAW,BAW,... off-chip filter with 50 ohms since these filters are optimized to operate with 50ohms terminations.
2_ If no filter precedes the LNA and the antenna is on-chip, then the LNA should synthesize an impedance which is complex-conjugate of that of the antenna at the RF signal of interest for maximum power transfer.
3_ If you have any transmission line effect whether intentional or not, then you need to consider terminating the TL with its characteristic impedance to avoid reflection. That basically defines the input impedance of the LNA.
5_ It feels that I forgot something.... Wink

-Ibrahim

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #7 - Dec 1st, 2007, 7:58pm

Hi Ibrahim,

thanks for the input. However, I started this topic because I disagree with point 2. For RFIC, we are more concerned with voltage than power. I should be able to get much better gain and noise figure without matching the input to 50 ohm. For example if i have an ideal L in series with the gate capacitance of the input transistor. The gain of the input network would be wL/50 and the NF would ideally be 0 dB since an ideal LC adds no noise.

I guess in future, we may see on chip band-select filtering which is not matched to 50 ohm to take advantage of this...

cheers,
Aaron

View Profile   IP Logged
didac

There's a million
ways to see the
things in life

manresa,spain
Reply #8 - Dec 2nd, 2007, 2:35am

Hi,
Aaron if you plot on a smith chart the reflection coefficients you will find that exists a trade-off between matching and NF, and the NF will never be 0 dB, moreover if you make a perfect noise adaptation probably most of the incoming signal will be reflected back to the antenna so I doubt you will gain anything reducing the noise to the minimum expression.
Just my point of view.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #9 - Dec 2nd, 2007, 7:19am

Hi didac,

thanks. Your point of view is welcome. The point i'm trying to wrestle with is whether or not we care about signal reflection. We should be able to get very high voltage gain and low noise if we don't care about matching and we have some nice high Q inductors...

cheers,
Aaron

View Profile   IP Logged
didac

There's a million
ways to see the
things in life

manresa,spain
Reply #10 - Dec 2nd, 2007, 7:45am

Hi,
I think that it doesn't matter if we obtain a high gain if all the signal it's reflected back to the antenna, but I agree that 50 ohms it's not a useful reference impedance for a complete SOC.

RadioFreeq

Reply #11 - Dec 8th, 2007, 10:09am

Hi,
if you have some specs for your chip, it would be a nice start point making a complex matching between the different components. if you don´t have specs, then start thinking about your goal.

Donkeys kill more people annually than plane crashes.
View Profile   IP Logged
didac

There's a million
ways to see the
things in life

manresa,spain
Reply #12 - Feb 7th, 2008, 2:48am

Hi,
Yesterday I read a paper that puts this discussion in perspective:
"From Oxymoron to Mainstream: The Evolution and Future of RF CMOS",Thomas H. Lee,RFIT2007-IEEE International Workshop on Radio-Frequency Integration Technology, Dec. 9-11, 2007, Singapore. It's the typical invited paper for a symposium that makes reflexions,history... but it has an interesting quotation that reminded me this thread(the quotation doesn't reference directly the author but google is a powerful tool):
"CMOS devices take voltage, rather than power,as an input, and they have an almost purely  capacitive input, so they can't absorb any power. [G]etting … voltage gain using passive components that consume zero [power is] the most important factor in overcoming the noise of that device [6]."
doing google search you end up in a interview in  Electronic News: http://www.edn.com/article/CA6339267.html.

Prof.Lee in his paper mades a reasoning about why this idea is wrong, although he isn't completely neutral of course(he cited Shaeffer et al-where et al is Lee himself-), but ended up in the well know trade-off between Nfmin and input matching for power transfer(two-port noise theory).

Just to put things in perspective,

aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #13 - Feb 7th, 2008, 8:01am

Hi didac,

thanks for the post. I read that section of the paper and it was quite enlightening. In fact, I don't think the Bsim3v3.2 (that's what i'm using) takes NQS gate noise into account, so the effect described wouldn't even show up. Not sure if i'm right about that.

On the other hand, I think T.H.Lee is talking about optimizing NF, where the optimum NF could be as low as 1 dB. In low data rate (low-power) applications, we often can live with much higher NF. Furthermore, although the LNA has the biggest impact on receiver noise, if the rest of the system's noise is high, the LNA gain will have a much bigger impact on the overall NF than the LNA NF. Therefore, for sensor networks such as the one designed by Cook et al., I think passive voltage gain is a very good idea.

I have one major issue with the Ben Cook paper, however, in that the analysis is a little deceptive. I guess that might be why T.H.Lee seemed to be attacking it in his paper. In the analysis, Cook says that the LC network has a 3 dB NF under matched conditions. However, if you read his thesis (which you can find online), you'll see that the LC network has an NF of less than 1 dB. This suggests that he severely traded off S11 in his design. Basically it is not matched, and that's why S11 was not quoted in the JSSC paper. He didn't say that the receiver had no input matching, and it made the design look a lot better. Overall though, I thought the paper was very good.

cheers,
Aaron

P.S. Lee really seemed annoyed with the Cook paper...

View Profile   IP Logged
didac

There's a million
ways to see the
things in life

manresa,spain
Reply #14 - Feb 7th, 2008, 12:55pm

Hi aaron,
As I see you have readed in depth the paper from Cook and his thesis(could you post the link, I'm unable to find online-at the end of the day I lost my google powers-). First I have to say that it's indeed an interesting paper(I'm just in the second reading of it, and just now with pen and paper but it's quite innovative in the solutions they propose), I think that most of the "angry answer" of prof.Lee comes from the interview and not from the paper itself(the part of CMOS doesn't consume power only voltage) and as I said he is not entirely neutral(his work with Shaeffer and his own book for example). I had to read and analyze more in depth the paper(and the thesis if I have the change) but at first some things impresse me a little bit:
-as you said lack of s11 measurement(at 50 ohms or whatever impedance they use in the antenna-which antenna?-)
-at first glance I didn't find the data about sensitivity,data rate(250Kbps?),BER and intended distance for the receiver(I suppose these are carried out in thesis),now I'm making some educate assumptions to pick up numbers.
I agree with you that if you have a big gain at the LNA we can consider(we are engineers) that all the noise is from LNA and if as you said you can survive with big NF it won't be the problem, the problem comes from how much power from the antenna is effectively amplified(enters in the receiver) so the overall SNR at the demodulator input allows the detection.
PS:I'm not sure about NQS but I think that are included in BSIM4 models and not in BSIM3-this means when we switch to BSIM4 we cannot blame anymore the modelling guys for the NF excess...
PS2:I will read again the paper and if I could the thesis-I like classical theory-as you can deduce from my previous posts- but I'm not closed to learn new things.

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.