The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Models in Minutes
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines. Dec 15th, 2018, 11:45pm
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterPM to admin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
regarding W/L ratio of transistor (Read 149 times)
srinivasan0901

sweden
regarding W/L ratio of transistor
Nov 29th, 2018, 2:12am

In analog IC design , is it correct to make W/L ratio as 1. or L must always be less than W?

View Profile   IP Logged
DanielLam
Community Member

Re: regarding W/L ratio of transistor
Reply #1 - Nov 29th, 2018, 12:25pm

In general, the W/L ratio tends to be greater than 1. I do not know of any cases where you may want it equal or less. In my experience, you can't even do that. The minimum width is usually a little longer than the minimum length.

There are cases when you do not want minimum L maybe due to mismatch or for flicker noise reduction. But in those cases, the W/L ratio is still greater than 1.

**Edited to make statements correct.

« Last Edit: Nov 29th, 2018, 3:21pm by DanielLam »  
View Profile   IP Logged
srinivasan0901

sweden
Reply #2 - Nov 29th, 2018, 2:24pm

But in my class , i have designed diff amplifier, where width is several times more than length,which makes w/L >1. my doubt was for current measuring based circuits, usually L is more and almost similar to W or can be more than w. Is that way of proceeding design is correct or not?

View Profile   IP Logged
DanielLam
Community Member

Reply #3 - Nov 29th, 2018, 3:20pm

Whoops, you're right. I was thinking one thing and wrote the other. I corrected my statements above.

View Profile   IP Logged
polyam
Community Member

Reply #4 - Dec 1st, 2018, 7:51am

It depends on the design and the circuit you are working on, the length can be chosen more than W. I've seen a lot of circuits where the L was more than the width of the transistor especially when the device operates in weak-inversion.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Trouble viewing this site? Copyright © 2002-2018 Designer's Guide Consulting. 'Designer's Guide' is a registered trademark of Designer's Guide LLC. All rights reserved.

Our colleges are not as safe as they seem. Sexual assault is pervasive and the treatment of the victim by the adminstration is often as damaging as the assault: Campus Survivors, Campus Survivors Forum.

Some of our other sites that you might find useful: Avendesora, Inform and QuantiPhy.