The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 29th, 2024, 1:50am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Simulating with long-time constants in high data-rate designs (Read 773 times)
sandman
Community Member

Simulating with long-time constants in high data-rate designs
Aug 21st, 2018, 2:57am

Hi,

I could not find a previous post that matched this, so please excuse if this has already been answered!

I have a generic circuit that transmits/receives pseudo-random data at very high data rates. It is trivial to run a transient simulation at this data-rate in Spectre, without issues.

Suppose I include, say, an integrator in some feedback loop involving said generic circuit, and the integrator has a very large time-constant (several orders or magnitude slower than the input data-stream), what might be the best method to simulate the (time-domain) behaviour of the generic circuit with the feedback loop, while simultaneously having high-speed data in signal path?

I would be equally thankful for workarounds!

cheers,
sandman.

« Last Edit: Aug 21st, 2018, 7:02am by sandman »  
View Profile   IP Logged
rf-design

Reiner Franke

Germany
Re: Simulating with long-time constants in high data-rate designs
Reply #1 - Aug 21st, 2018, 4:20pm

You could benefit from a true multi-rate simulator in terms of runtime only if a small part of your circuit have fast nodes. Muti-rate is still in research and peak a decade ago. There are some but not many verification taks demanding what is more than a week runtime. So not enough return to spend on hard problems.

In your case the high-data.rate circuit consume most of CPU because it have to generate to input to the integrator.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.