The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 29th, 2024, 1:42am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
combined Bipolar-MOSFET current mirror (Read 1552 times)
bki
Community Member

combined Bipolar-MOSFET current mirror
Aug 14th, 2018, 7:42am

Hi everybody,

i was wondering what happens if i Combine a PMOS current mirror  (source connected to VDD) with a PNP current mirror (Collectors connected to the PMOS Drains) instead of a full PMOS cascode current mirror?

Does (PMOS current mirror with PNP current mirror connected as Cascode configuration) make sense to do it and does it bring any benefits compared to a full PMOS Cascode Current Mirror?

Thank you!

View Profile   IP Logged
Horror Vacui

Dresden, Germany
Re: combined Bipolar-MOSFET current mirror
Reply #1 - Aug 20th, 2018, 8:42am

What is the idea behind the BJT cascode? Why would you do that?

I find BJTs inferior in current mirrors because you have base currents and the headroom is lower as well (Collector should be at a lower voltage than the base to keep it in forward active region). The only possible case I would think about it is if I would need a high voltage output and I have no high voltage MOS device, but bipolar.

Actually I would consider the opposite: using the BJT at the supply: I expect lower 1/f noise and the base terminal has lower impedance for the same current.

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Re: combined Bipolar-MOSFET current mirror
Reply #2 - Oct 21st, 2018, 11:14am

The base current of a bipolar device depends on the Vce voltage. For a bipolar cascode this voltage-dependent base current limits the amount of output resistance possible. Bipolars also don't recover smoothly when their base-collector junction is forward biased.

Bipolar mirrors are lousy because of their high gm (small mismatches result in large current changes). What you wind up doing is adding degeneration resistors, which are resistors between the emitters and the power supply. If you do that and have a good biCMOS process bipolar mirrors work well.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.