The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Models in Minutes
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines. Jul 18th, 2018, 1:17pm
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterPM to admin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SKILL functions in VerilogA possible? (Read 262 times)
Horror Vacui
Community Member

SKILL functions in VerilogA possible?
Jun 01st, 2018, 1:52am

Hi everyone,

I would like to give over some parameters to my verilogA block during netlisting (library/cell/cellview used for simulation, date, username, and if possible model section/corner o be used) so they could be written into the output file generated by the VerilogA module.
I sweep some parameters and measure a few important results in my circuit with VerilogA and create an output file. It is much faster and easier then using running parametric sweeps. Also a similar thing might be used for debugging purposes as well.

Is it possible at all? I fear it is not trivial. I have looked into /thought at the following:
- spectre runs independently from the Cadence environment in batch  mode, so I do not think I can solve the problem there.
- The CDF callbacks are only evaluated when the Edit Properties form is used, which is not enough for me.
- netlister: On the other hand I am skeptical here as well. I believe that the netlister just grabs the database information - i.e. "strings" - from the devices and puts them into a netlist file as they were. At least if I would develop a netlister I would not complicate it more than necessary (KISS principle). A problem is that I do not know where is the netlister documentation.

I have no other ideas. Do you have any idea how to - try to - solve this?

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: SKILL functions in VerilogA possible?
Reply #1 - Jun 2nd, 2018, 6:47am

Not entirely sure whether this will help, but see this thread on the Cadence Community Forums:

https://community.cadence.com/cadence_technology_forums/f/custom-ic-design/37847...

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Horror Vacui
Community Member

Reply #2 - Jun 5th, 2018, 1:23am

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the link. It is an interesting one, and it could be a solution to a part of my problem.
Are you aware any general way that makes it possible to put the result of a SKILL function into the netlist?

Thanks,
Zoltan

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #3 - Jun 17th, 2018, 3:23am

It's not that clear quite what you're trying to achieve here or why you need SKILL to do it. You could write a custom netlisting procedure, but I can't give that much advice without a clear example of what you want or what needs to be done at netlisting time.

Maybe this would be better handled by a question to Cadence Customer Support at http://support.cadence.com

Regards,

Andrew.

Horror Vacui
Community Member

Reply #4 - Jun 17th, 2018, 12:33pm

I do not need to do this, I just found the idea of saving the already post-processed simulation results from a verilogA module promising.

I have a verilogA block which does my sweep control for two variables and writes the results into a textfile, from where I can plot the necessary data. Otherwise I should run too many spectre runs, where most of the runs will not have a meaningful result (=the circuit can not function as intended). One of the simulation results are what is the range where the circuit operates. I find it non trivial to let it plot in Cadence, but I find it very easy to just write it into a text file. Since I have to write into a file the idea emerged that I could add another data to it as well.

One of the problem is that the output text file where I save the results from the verilogA module, takes its filename from the block properties. I run the same testbench with different config views, with and without parasitic extraction.
It would be a great help if I could change some things in the outputs, what I have to write manually before every run if something changes: output filename, what config view has been run, which LPE view has been used, which corner is it on, date, because it might change after copying, but I could think of another information to archive.
It does not need to be SKILL, it can be anything, C, Fortran, Pascal, Java, I just wondered whether it is possible.

View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Reply #5 - Jun 19th, 2018, 1:28am

Did you already take a look at the section "Special $fopen Formatting Commands" in the Cadence Verilog-A Language Reference (https://support.cadence.com/apex/techpubDocViewerPage?path=veriaref/veriaref17.1...)?

Horror Vacui
Community Member

Reply #6 - Jun 20th, 2018, 2:07am

Yes, I looked at it at the beginning, but these formatting commands are just a limited set and they can be used only for filenames. They did not work when I wanted to write them into the file.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Trouble viewing this site? Copyright © 2002-2018 Designer's Guide Consulting. 'Designer's Guide' is a registered trademark of Designer's Guide LLC. All rights reserved.

Our colleges are not as safe as they seem. Sexual assault is pervasive and the treatment of the victim by the adminstration is often as damaging as the assault: Campus Survivors, Campus Survivors Forum.

Some of our other sites that you might find useful: Avendesora, Inform and QuantiPhy.