The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines. Jun 18th, 2018, 5:54pm
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterPM to admin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What is the PSD of noise generated using rdist_normal function? (Read 81 times)
subtr
Community Member

Analog Enthusiast

USA
What is the PSD of noise generated using rdist_normal function?
May 29th, 2018, 6:51pm

In the designer's guide document on jitter model of VCO, I understand that the Sigma from integrated noise is already assumed to be extracted. This is used to generate phase noise. Oscillator does the accumulation every cycle. But, Ideally I could have multiple PSDs giving me the same integrated noise power. So does generating a sequence of numbers using just the defined variance, guarantee any frequency distribution? Is it white?

Regards
Subtr
View Profile   IP Logged
subtr
Community Member

Analog Enthusiast

USA
Re: What is the PSD of noise generated using rdist_normal function?
Reply #1 - May 31st, 2018, 3:23am

So to add more details, the an undefined PSD for the noise generated means that I could have any shape of PSD and just hope that my PLL filters out the noise from the VCO noise model. The below given examples are different possibilities of having the same sigma but different PSDs. In case anyone would like to comment on anything I'm missing, please do as it is not of any use for a designer to spend time using an unknown or unrealistic AMS or verilogA model in his PLL  design.

pnoise_psddoubt.PNG

Regards
Subtr
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Trouble viewing this site? Copyright © 2002-2014 Designer's Guide Consulting. 'Designer's Guide' is a registered trademark of Designer's Guide LLC. All rights reserved.

Our colleges are not as safe as they seem. Sexual assault is pervasive and the treatment of the victim by the adminstration is often as damaging as the assault: Campus Survivors, Campus Survivors Forum.

Some of our other sites that you might find useful: Avendesora, Inform and QuantiPhy.