The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 6:30am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
VCO based ADC frequency domain behaviour (Read 2499 times)
polyam
Community Member

VCO based ADC frequency domain behaviour
Apr 18th, 2018, 3:50pm

Hi,

I am interested in doing a proper simulation in Spectre to extract the frequency response of a VCO-based ADC. Please check the following figures. A VCO based ADC can be modeled as an integrator followed by a sampler and a differentiator. Can anyone help me to do a simulation in order to get the following curves?  It is expected to have a low pass behavior at the output of VCO (let's say ring oscillator). Such a low-pass behavior must be canceled by the frequency response of the differentiator resulting in a flat frequency response. my target is to reproduce such a figure in Spectre.
BTW these figures come from "Design of a 5bit 1GSps VCO Quantizer for a CT Delta Sigma Modulator"

https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/6226117/

tnx  :)

VCO_ADC.png
View Profile   IP Logged
polyam
Community Member

Re: VCO based ADC frequency domain behaviour
Reply #1 - Apr 18th, 2018, 3:50pm

Freq. res. of VCO-ADC

Freq_res.png
View Profile   IP Logged
polyam
Community Member

Reply #2 - Apr 21st, 2018, 7:52am

Any clue for this problem? Can something be done with Spectre-RF?

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #3 - May 15th, 2018, 10:31pm

VCO counter ADC BW is a function of the count period. Typically you do a VCO count for a fixed period of time based upon the sample input voltage, and then do the same time period and get the count when connected to a reference voltage (typically the V bandgap) and then you take the ratio of the two numbers.

It is not a linear system simulation, and you generally run the count out to some large numbers in order to average out the inherent (flicker and thermal) noise of the system.

I designed one of these for Intel back in the Pentium 1 era for their thermal monitor. These devices are very slow, generally with update rates multiple seconds apart, and the BW approximation can be crudely approximated by the update rate.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.