The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines. May 26th, 2018, 2:50pm
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterPM to admin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
LNA Design Unable to get any gain from the circuit (Read 338 times)
Sagar Juneja

LNA Design Unable to get any gain from the circuit
Feb 07th, 2018, 3:21am

I am designing LNA for GPS application (1.57GHz) using cadence virtuoso (IC616) and Spectre (MMSIM131) tool. Circuit is attached.

My topology is inductive source degeneration. I am able to match the input and output of LNA to 50 Ohms input and output port respectively with S11 = -18dB and S22 = -10dB. My noise figure is 2.4dB at the frequency of interest.  

But the problem is I am not been able to get any gain out of the circuit. My S21 is always coming equal to S22 and it is -2.5dB. Please help me understand what could possibly be wrong with the circuit.

DC parameters/bias points for my gain transistor are as follows:-
Gate Over Drive Voltage - 0.12V, Id = 5.69A, Vgs = .608V, Vds = .605V, Vth = .558V, gm = 81m, gds = 2.14m, Cgs = 548Ff

circuit-updated.png
View Profile   IP Logged
SantoS_Nano

Re: LNA Design Unable to get any gain from the circuit
Reply #1 - Feb 23rd, 2018, 3:59am

Hello,

I have few comments.
1. Id = 5.69A is very high. (it should be in mA)
2. Vds = 0.605V and Vgs = 0.608V (pls check the bias point in DC-IV characteristics).
3. matching (< -10dB) and Noise Figure (2.4dB) are acceptable. so you should get required gain!! (Pls recheck the circuit topology, Bias and High value resistors.)

Thanks,
Santosh  ;)

View Profile   IP Logged
Jacki

Re: LNA Design Unable to get any gain from the circuit
Reply #2 - Mar 20th, 2018, 1:48am

Check your output port resistance, do you use 50Ohm? If you don't need output impedance matching, don't use the port. If you need the output impedance matching, you need a buffer.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Trouble viewing this site? Copyright © 2002-2014 Designer's Guide Consulting. 'Designer's Guide' is a registered trademark of Designer's Guide LLC. All rights reserved.

Our colleges are not as safe as they seem. Sexual assault is pervasive and the treatment of the victim by the adminstration is often as damaging as the assault: Campus Survivors, Campus Survivors Forum.

Some of our other sites that you might find useful: Avendesora, Inform and QuantiPhy.