The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 29th, 2024, 2:34am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to jump from a forever cycling loop in Veriloga. (Read 2506 times)
Jacki

How to jump from a forever cycling loop in Veriloga.
Feb 06th, 2018, 7:19am

Hello,

I am writing a Veriloga model to do a binary search. The basic idea is: I have an open loop oscillator with binary control signals. I want to control the oscillating frequency to a range. The easiest way is to start the search from 00000 (5-bit) and linearly increase to 11111. But it takes too much simulation time (it is oscillator in time domain simulation).
   So I plan to do a binary search, and now I have a forever loop : for example
   while(1) begin
   break;
    end
   What I want is how to quit the forever loop if the frequency meets my range? In Verilog code, it is just a command "break", but I don't know how to do it in Veriloga.
   Any help is highly appreciated.
   By the way, several functions in Verilog don't work in Veriloga, for example
   @(posedge clk_in)
   break;
   #1u;

If you have some good examples about the timing circuits, that would be wonderful.
   Thank you.

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: How to jump from a forever cycling loop in Veriloga.
Reply #1 - Feb 6th, 2018, 8:57am

Why not have a variable "found" that you initialize to 0, set to 1 when your search is done, and use that in the while condition?

while (!found) begin
 end

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.