The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 9:35am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
calculation of total width of MOS using finger width and multiplier (Read 1788 times)
Sagar Juneja

calculation of total width of MOS using finger width and multiplier
Jan 18th, 2018, 2:42am

If we are given a finger width, numbers of fingers and multiplier then as per my understanding the total width of MOS = finger_width*number_of_fingers*multiplier.

Is my understanding correct? I refereed  to one sample circuit in cadence manual, i am not been able to understand how they have calculated the total width. Screenshot is attached.

Screenshot_015.png
View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: calculation of total width of MOS using finger width and multiplier
Reply #1 - Jan 21st, 2018, 8:26am

The example is not a particularly great one because it's inconsistent. The database is from the SpectreRF workshop which is in <SPECTREinstDir>/tools/spectre/examples/SpectreRF_workshop/rfworkshop.tar.Z and looking at the CDF for this component, it seems that most of the parameters are not used - it's only the length, the multiplier, and the number of fingers that are netlisted for these RF transistors. The width is defined in the model as 1.5u. The other parameters which are displayed in the edit properties form are not consistent - there are no callbacks to compute them.

So don't get too hung up on this specific example - it's not intended to be a real life PDK - it's an example which has been adapted a few times and is not representative of a real-life design kit.

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Tako
Community Member

Re: calculation of total width of MOS using finger width and multiplier
Reply #2 - Jan 23rd, 2018, 5:22am

Generally speaking this formula:

total width of MOS = finger_width*number_of_fingers*multiplier

is a proper one. But keep in mind that 1um x 4 x 5 (W x F x M) transistor would behave a little differently than 2.5um x 2 x 4 transistor .

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.