The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 18th, 2024, 7:19am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Free Circuit simulator?? (Read 2089 times)
shubhamchawla

Free Circuit simulator??
Dec 21st, 2017, 9:34am

Hi!
I have done an internship at Analog Devices where I was able to use cadence virtuoso etc. Now, I am at my university where there is no proper LAB or licenses or anybody caring to even contact Cadence for University Licence. I wish to publish papers on Bandgap and LDO design in next 6 months but have no tools. Please suggest me tools by which I can report data on research papers. I tried LTSpice but where do I find model files for processes like 180nm and less? Step by step tutorial would be very helpful on how to setup my environment where I can write testbenches and all.

View Profile   IP Logged
Tako
Community Member

Re: Free Circuit simulator??
Reply #1 - Jan 3rd, 2018, 2:03pm

See whether you'll find something interesting here: http://www.mtcmos.com/ic-simulators/ .

Nevertheless, I recommend LTspice as a free tool. You'll find models of transistors, for example in books as Razavi and Baker and others.

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #2 - Jan 4th, 2018, 7:45am

Tako wrote on Jan 3rd, 2018, 2:03pm:
You'll find models of transistors, for example in books as Razavi and Baker and others.

The original poster wanted models for 180nm or smaller, which one is not likely to find in books.

But LTspice uses a syntax that's very similar to HSpice, and may in fact read HSpice model files if they use mostly "standard" Spice syntax. I think I've seen 180nm (0.18u) model libraries - maybe from MOSIS? - available on the web, without requiring an NDA or contract from a foundry.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Tako
Community Member

Reply #3 - Jan 4th, 2018, 9:43am

Geoffrey_Coram wrote on Jan 4th, 2018, 7:45am:
Tako wrote on Jan 3rd, 2018, 2:03pm:
You'll find models of transistors, for example in books as Razavi and Baker and others.

The original poster wanted models for 180nm or smaller, which one is not likely to find in books.

Baker has 50 nm.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.