The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 19th, 2024, 12:58am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Comparators input beyond supply rails (Read 1644 times)
niloun
Community Member

Comparators input beyond supply rails
Nov 10th, 2017, 12:33pm

Hi everyone

I have simulated a StrongArm comparator which its inputs are beyond its supply (for instance: Vdd=0.9, Vi+=1.35+0.45*sinwt, Vi-=1.35) and surprisingly it works properly (even in the simulation corners). If it is so, why don't we decrease the supply to save power, what is wrong with decreasing the supply as much as possible for any input range?

Thanks in advance

comp.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
DanielLam
Community Member

Re: Comparators input beyond supply rails
Reply #1 - Nov 10th, 2017, 2:22pm

Oxide stress. The Vgs of the input devices can also be > Vdd and runs the risk of overstressing the oxide.

Btw for this nmos input comparator, the higher the common mode, the higher the input thermal noise.

Also, lower Vdd will give lower speed.

View Profile   IP Logged
niloun
Community Member

Reply #2 - Nov 10th, 2017, 11:48pm

DanielLam wrote on Nov 10th, 2017, 2:22pm:
Oxide stress. The Vgs of the input devices can also be > Vdd and runs the risk of overstressing the oxide.

Btw for this nmos input comparator, the higher the common mode, the higher the input thermal noise.

Also, lower Vdd will give lower speed.

THanks DanielLam. I have attached two image from Razavi's survey on StrongArm. So you mean that in phase "b" transistors M1 and M2 receive an unusual amount of voltage which may cause damage to them?

View Profile   IP Logged
neoflash
Community Fellow

Mixed-Signal
Designer

Reply #3 - Nov 14th, 2017, 4:44pm

If you don't need speed from the regeneration latch, you can reduce the supply to save power. Or alternatively, reduce the size of transistor at expense of larger offset.

niloun wrote on Nov 10th, 2017, 12:33pm:
Hi everyone

I have simulated a StrongArm comparator which its inputs are beyond its supply (for instance: Vdd=0.9, Vi+=1.35+0.45*sinwt, Vi-=1.35) and surprisingly it works properly (even in the simulation corners). If it is so, why don't we decrease the supply to save power, what is wrong with decreasing the supply as much as possible for any input range?

Thanks in advance

View Profile   IP Logged
niloun
Community Member

Reply #4 - Nov 14th, 2017, 11:40pm

neoflash wrote on Nov 14th, 2017, 4:44pm:
If you don't need speed from the regeneration latch, you can reduce the supply to save power. Or alternatively, reduce the size of transistor at expense of larger offset.

niloun wrote on Nov 10th, 2017, 12:33pm:
Hi everyone

Thanks in advance

Thanks, so there will be no problem if one wants to fabricate this circuit? Since I have heard about issues including : "bulk current" (which I have checked in the simulations and it was OK) or "latch up" or " oxide stress" which Daniel mentioned?

View Profile   IP Logged
Frank_Heart

Reply #5 - Nov 17th, 2017, 12:08am

If your input device Vgs can handle (Vi+=1.35+0.45*sinwt), you don't have stress problem.

With lower supply for latch, as DanielLam and neoflash mentioned, your dynamic gain is small and speed for latch would be low.

And, how about the supply for the logics after comparator? You probably need a level-shifter to bring the voltage swing to normal supply range.

-Frank

View Profile   IP Logged
niloun
Community Member

Reply #6 - Nov 17th, 2017, 1:33am

Frank_Heart wrote on Nov 17th, 2017, 12:08am:
If your input device Vgs can handle (Vi+=1.35+0.45*sinwt), you don't have stress problem.

With lower supply for latch, as DanielLam and neoflash mentioned, your dynamic gain is small and speed for latch would be low.

And, how about the supply for the logics after comparator? You probably need a level-shifter to bring the voltage swing to normal supply range.

-Frank

Thanks for your answer Frank.
You are right but we can lower the supply of the subsequent blocks and use a level-shifter in the final stage if it is necessary to have the original logic levels. Am I wrong?

View Profile   IP Logged
Frank_Heart

Reply #7 - Nov 17th, 2017, 8:19am

Niloun, I agree with you. As soon as the overall speed/noise performances meet system requirements. It's a good idea to lower down supply for saving power.

-Frank

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.