The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 29th, 2024, 3:19am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fully Differential Amplifier closed loop gain (superposition assumption) (Read 2795 times)
monglebest

Austin
Fully Differential Amplifier closed loop gain (superposition assumption)
Nov 10th, 2017, 8:00am

I don't understand why output is considered ground when calculating Vin's superposition at amplifier input pin.
http://www.ti.com/lit/an/slyt157/slyt157.pdf

From the above TI notes, I learnt that I should apply superposition
Vn=(Vin-)*R2/(R1+R2) + (Vout+)*R1/(R1+R2)                (1)
Vp=(Vin+)*R4/(R3+R4) + (Vout-)*R3/(R3+R4)                (2)

Then based on the differential amplifier equation (Vp-Vn)*Adiff=(Vout+)-(Vout-), I can calculate the closed loop gain.

My question is about the superposition equations (1). Why can I assume Vout+ node is grounded when considering (Vin-)'s superposition, which give me Vn=(Vin-)*R2/(R1+R2). If the amplifier is OTA, the output node is high impedance.

Can anyone explain to me why in this superposition, I can obtain  Vn=(Vin-)*R2/(R1+R2)? I can understand the other way when calculating Vn=(Vout+)*R1/(R1+R2) because Vin- voltage source should be grounded in Vout+'s superposition. What is missing in my understanding?

s3.PNG
View Profile   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Re: Fully Differential Amplifier closed loop gain (superposition assumption)
Reply #1 - Nov 11th, 2017, 2:45am

The superposition principle requires that the influence of the various signal sources is considered successively - all sources grounded (set to zero) except one!

LvW (buddypoor: In memory of the great late Buddy Rich)
View Profile   IP Logged
monglebest

Austin
Reply #2 - Nov 13th, 2017, 12:56pm

buddypoor wrote on Nov 11th, 2017, 2:45am:
The superposition principle requires that the influence of the various signal sources is considered successively - all sources grounded (set to zero) except one!

Hi, buddypoor

I understand what you say when I execute the calculation of superposition. But why can I do that? In normal operation, there is only voltage source at input, the output should be connected with cap load.

Or maybe I am asking the wrong question when trying to analyze the gain calculation of fully differential pair?

Do you know other way to calculate fully differential amplifier differential gain?

Regards
Gaofeng

View Profile   IP Logged
Frank_Heart

Reply #3 - Nov 17th, 2017, 10:50am

monglebest wrote on Nov 10th, 2017, 8:00am:
I don't understand why output is considered ground when calculating Vin's superposition at amplifier input pin.

Then based on the differential amplifier equation (Vp-Vn)*Adiff=(Vout+)-(Vout-), I can calculate the closed loop gain.

My question is about the superposition equations (1). Why can I assume Vout+ node is grounded when considering (Vin-)'s superposition, which give me Vn=(Vin-)*R2/(R1+R2). If the amplifier is OTA, the output node is high impedance.

It's true when it is open-loop. Here is a closed-loop application.
-Frank

Can anyone explain to me why in this superposition, I can obtain  Vn=(Vin-)*R2/(R1+R2)? I can understand the other way when calculating Vn=(Vout+)*R1/(R1+R2) because Vin- voltage source should be grounded in Vout+'s superposition. What is missing in my understanding?

View Profile   IP Logged
monglebest

Austin
Reply #4 - Nov 29th, 2017, 10:08am

Frank_Heart wrote on Nov 17th, 2017, 10:50am:
monglebest wrote on Nov 10th, 2017, 8:00am:

It's true when it is open-loop. Here is a closed-loop application.
-Frank

Hi, Frank:

Can you explain it more clearly what's the black magic that closed loop does here?

Thank you
Gaofeng

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.