The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 12:33pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Intuitively find poles and zeros in a RC circuit (Read 3396 times)
curious

Intuitively find poles and zeros in a RC circuit
Nov 03rd, 2017, 6:19pm

I am reaching out to you to ask for some technical help. The question is how do we find poles and zeros in a circuit intuitively in the RC circuits without doing any mathematical calculations. This is something I am not good at and would like to learn. RC circuits by themselves or RC with Opamp. I would greatly appreciate if you can help me on this. Thank you very much in advance. http://www.swarthmore.edu/NatSci/echeeve1/Ref/FilterBkgrnd/Filters.html for example if we can discuss the simple bandpass with opamp in the link

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: Intuitively find poles and zeros in a RC circuit
Reply #1 - Nov 4th, 2017, 9:58am

I recommend taking a look at Introduction to Phasors.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
curious

Reply #2 - Nov 4th, 2017, 5:45pm

Hi Ken,

Thank you for referring me to the Phasors document. I understood the document and now trying to relate it to intuitively finding poles and zeros. In the last example of active filter (I think there is a typo in the diagram, shouldn't it be connected to the negative terminal), I can see there is a dominant pole from RfCf and now trying to figure out where is the other pole and zero coming from looking at the phasor diagram. Again I can derive mathematically. Also if one does not give any values to the components and ask for poles and zeros how do I do it (I am under the assumption that for Phasor analysis component values should be known)

If you can drive me through this one example step by step that would be of great help.
Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #3 - Nov 7th, 2017, 12:06am

The other pole and zero come from Zi. Remember that the input components that make up Zi are completely isolated from the feedback components that make up Zf by the opamp's virtual ground. Zi ends up in the denominator of the overall transfer function, and so the pole and zero in Zi become a zero and pole in the overall transfer function.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
curious

Reply #4 - Nov 8th, 2017, 4:06am

Hi Ken,

Thank you. I also found this document during my search, attached to the message. I found it helpful as well.

Curious

View Profile   IP Logged
Frank_Heart

Reply #5 - Nov 17th, 2017, 10:53pm

also check Elmore delay which might be useful to you.  -Frank

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.