The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 18th, 2024, 4:41am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DC characteristics  of Rail to Rail buffer (65nm) (Read 894 times)
kabir_fakir

DC characteristics  of Rail to Rail buffer (65nm)
Oct 03rd, 2017, 8:26am

Hello everyone here,

I have tested the rail to rail buffer (constant gm topology:65nm) in the lab. I have tested 3 samples (chip1, chip2, chip 3 in fig below) and plotted the input out char with simulation results also.
I am not able to understand why at one of the rail (either zero or 1.2 ) the output of the r2r is showing pretty much deviation from the simulation (see first comment where I put the other figure )?
Can someone explain this behaviour? If anyone needs more information to explain the behaviour kindly let me know.

Capture_015.PNG

Always a learner and will be .
View Profile   IP Logged
kabir_fakir

Re: DC characteristics  of Rail to Rail buffer (65nm)
Reply #1 - Oct 3rd, 2017, 8:27am

Here is the another curve. Y-axis represents the Vout-Vin (Error voltage) and X-axis represents the input voltage

error_voltage.PNG

View Profile   IP Logged
Frank_Heart

Reply #2 - Nov 17th, 2017, 11:09pm

Hi, kabir,

There is always gain drop when Vout approaches to rail, completely driving PMOS (or NMOS) side to triode region, such that the systematic offset gains up, if your feedback loop still holds and nothing is broken (working in triode region) in previous gain stages.  

Say you have 3-stage amplifier, the 1st & 2nd stage gain is already high enough to bring systematic offset below 1mV. But remember you are going to have mis-match in real circuit, which could drive the 1st & 2nd stage broken in this case. So your overall offset will be much larger. This might be the reason, you get much higher offset than your schematic results.  You should run some MC to check the offset @ fully titled cases.

Regards,
Frank

View Profile   IP Logged
kabir_fakir

Reply #3 - Nov 20th, 2017, 8:31am

Thanks to you for giving your thoughts on this. I think the reason you have given here might be one of the strongest cases to see these offsets.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.