The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 25th, 2024, 1:28pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Delay circuit for analog signal (Read 830 times)
naina

India, Uttar Pradesh
Delay circuit for analog signal
Aug 16th, 2017, 10:34pm

Hello
I am designing a delay circuit for my project which will delay an analog signal in nanosecond range. I have tried to do it using all pass filter but the design I am using is not working. Can anyone give some idea?

View Profile   IP Logged
neoflash
Community Fellow

Mixed-Signal
Designer

Re: Delay circuit for analog signal
Reply #1 - Aug 18th, 2017, 4:29pm

I guess you need to be more specific:

1. nature of signal. linearity requirement on signal?
2. application of this delay? for what purpose?

naina wrote on Aug 16th, 2017, 10:34pm:
Hello
I am designing a delay circuit for my project which will delay an analog signal in nanosecond range. I have tried to do it using all pass filter but the design I am using is not working. Can anyone give some idea?

View Profile   IP Logged
naina

India, Uttar Pradesh
Reply #2 - Aug 19th, 2017, 1:12pm

Actually I have to design a analog autocorrelator circuit and I was thinking to do it by mathematical formula. Means delay the signal then multiply them and then addition. I don't have all details. Can you tell me what are the specifications that I need to set. If you have any paper regarding it can you please send it?

View Profile   IP Logged
lukeS

Silicon Valley
Reply #3 - Aug 21st, 2017, 4:51pm

Not sure if this meets your spec, but for analog delays an easy way is current into cap delay. The way it works is you have a fixed current that charges a capacitor. Since i = C*(dv/dt), you can solve for dt which is the delay. dv/dt = i / C; dt = dv / (i / C); where 'i' is your constant current and 'C' is the size of your capacitor. dt is the time it takes for the voltage across the cap to change exactly 'dv' volts.

Example: I usually see this implemented as an inverter driving a capacitor. The output then drives another inverter or buffer that outputs a logic signal (ENABLE, or POWER_ON_RESET, etc.). The 'dv' in this case is the switching threshold of your next stage, for example.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.