The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 7:44am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question on mutual capacitance change on other neighboring conductors (Read 1358 times)
neoflash
Community Fellow

Mixed-Signal
Designer

Question on mutual capacitance change on other neighboring conductors
Jul 30th, 2017, 10:49am

I am looking for articles or textbooks that can explain the impact of 3rd conductor on mutual capacitance on two conductors.

For example, for many capacitance sensing scheme, the mutual C between sensor and object will change linearly with distance if no other conductors nearby. However, if there is other conductor close to sensor, the mutual C drops much faster with distance.

If any material helps understand this better, I would really appreciate it.

View Profile   IP Logged
Maks
Community Member

San Jose
Re: Question on mutual capacitance change on other neighboring conductors
Reply #1 - Jul 31st, 2017, 9:36am

Capacitance change (inversely) linearly with distance only for a parallel-plate capacitor, or - for any capacitor if the change (of the distance) is small.

In general, introduction of a third body (a conductor with fixed voltage -
i.e. not floating) close to the "plates" of a capacitor will reduce the capacitance between the plates.

I never heard of a statement that the rate of capacitance change is faster in the presence of a third body.

I don't think you will find a detailed theoretical discussion of this thing in the literature. People do simulate capacitance, but it is not considered a cutting edge research, in general. And if it is a cutting edge research for some companies (like capacitive touch sensors) - they would keep this as a trade secret, not publishing the results.

Max

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.