The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 19th, 2024, 2:15am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Phase noise using noisetype=sources vs noisetype=pmjitter (Read 2075 times)
deba
Community Member

Phase noise using noisetype=sources vs noisetype=pmjitter
Jul 19th, 2017, 6:20am

Hi,

I have few question regarding pnoise available in spectreRF.

1) For a square wave, the phase information is only present at the rising or falling edges. Thus, the phase noise(in dBc/Hz) obtained from noisetype=sources will be equal to the one obtained from the one using noisetype=pmjitter(the voltage noise is converted to phase noise).

Is the above reasoning applicable to sinusoid oscillators(VCO,crystal)? I think pmjitter cannot be applied to these cases. So if there are sinusoid then only noisetype=sources is applicable.

2) For a driven circuit, if one limits the amplitude using a VCVS(limiter with gain=1 around the threshold crossing) and use noisetype=sources. The phasenoise obtained using this method will be the same as the one obtained using pmjitter. So the utility of pmjitter is not clear. Can someone clarify?

Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
Jacki

Re: Phase noise using noisetype=sources vs noisetype=pmjitter
Reply #1 - Sep 22nd, 2017, 5:35am

Hi,

According to my understand between pmjitter and source, the former one has the strobed jitter, and source gives the time-averaged jitter. for driven circuits, i think pmjitter is a good choice since you have your reference input clock.
   I think we can also separate them like: fast variation or slow variation, it depends on the output of your circuit.

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: Phase noise using noisetype=sources vs noisetype=pmjitter
Reply #2 - Sep 22nd, 2017, 9:13am

I have not used pmjitter myself, so I cannot speak to the details, but conceptually a jitter analysis will:
  • As Jacki says, a jitter analysis will sample the noise at the threshold crossing and report only the jitter at the threshold crossing. No sampling is performed in a conventional noise analysis.
  • A jitter analysis reports its results in seconds rather than volts or amps.
  • A jitter analysis computes the jitter directly and without requiring you to add a limiter to your circuit.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.