The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines. Jul 22nd, 2017, 9:48am
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterPM to admin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Noise analysis of single transistor (Read 150 times)
kabir_fakir

Noise analysis of single transistor
Jul 11th, 2017, 6:08am

It might be very simple question. But I am trying to simulate a single trasistor output and input noise PSD in spectre. Here is the testbench. Can anyone tell me what is wrong in the testbench because I am getting zero output noise (PSD) with this testbench.I can not understand it.

The output node is drain terminal(net04).

noise_tb.PNG

Always a learner and will be .
View Profile   IP Logged
kabir_fakir

Re: Noise analysis of single transistor
Reply #1 - Jul 11th, 2017, 6:13am

Here is the graph of the input and output noise. Its vsd (voltage spectral density)

noise_tb_result.PNG

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #2 - Jul 14th, 2017, 12:47pm

It looks to me that the drain terminal is vdd!, not "net04", in the schematic you posted.

Obviously, if your drain terminal is connected to a voltage source, then there will be no output noise voltage. Some simulators allow you to get an output noise current directly; others, you'll need a ccvs to convert the current (in the voltage source providing the drain bias voltage) into a voltage.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
kabir_fakir

Reply #3 - Jul 17th, 2017, 5:40am

Thanks for your reply. You are right that its drain terminal is connected to the vdd. But I was not aware of the fact that spectre need ccvs.
Now I have modified my testbench and put a resistor at the drain terminal and I can see the output noise PSD! Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

The Spectre

Silicon Valley
Reply #4 - Jul 17th, 2017, 7:16pm

Spectre does not require a CCVS in this situation. You only need to tell the noise analysis that you want the noise in a branch or terminal current rather than a node voltage.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
kabir_fakir

Reply #5 - Jul 18th, 2017, 3:23am

Ken Kundert wrote on Jul 17th, 2017, 7:16pm:
Spectre does not require a CCVS in this situation. You only need to tell the noise analysis that you want the noise in a branch or terminal current rather than a node voltage.

-Ken

Thanks for the clarification.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Trouble viewing this site? Copyright © 2002-2014 Designer's Guide Consulting. 'Designer's Guide' is a registered trademark of Designer's Guide LLC. All rights reserved.

Our colleges are not as safe as they seem. Sexual assault is pervasive and the treatment of the victim by the adminstration is often as damaging as the assault: Campus Survivors, Campus Survivors Forum.

Some of our other sites that you might find useful: QuantiPhy.