The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 8:01am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Noise analysis of single transistor (Read 3321 times)
kabir_fakir

Noise analysis of single transistor
Jul 11th, 2017, 6:08am

It might be very simple question. But I am trying to simulate a single trasistor output and input noise PSD in spectre. Here is the testbench. Can anyone tell me what is wrong in the testbench because I am getting zero output noise (PSD) with this testbench.I can not understand it.

The output node is drain terminal(net04).

noise_tb.PNG

Always a learner and will be .
View Profile   IP Logged
kabir_fakir

Re: Noise analysis of single transistor
Reply #1 - Jul 11th, 2017, 6:13am

Here is the graph of the input and output noise. Its vsd (voltage spectral density)

noise_tb_result.PNG

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #2 - Jul 14th, 2017, 12:47pm

It looks to me that the drain terminal is vdd!, not "net04", in the schematic you posted.

Obviously, if your drain terminal is connected to a voltage source, then there will be no output noise voltage. Some simulators allow you to get an output noise current directly; others, you'll need a ccvs to convert the current (in the voltage source providing the drain bias voltage) into a voltage.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
kabir_fakir

Reply #3 - Jul 17th, 2017, 5:40am

Thanks for your reply. You are right that its drain terminal is connected to the vdd. But I was not aware of the fact that spectre need ccvs.
Now I have modified my testbench and put a resistor at the drain terminal and I can see the output noise PSD! Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #4 - Jul 17th, 2017, 7:16pm

Spectre does not require a CCVS in this situation. You only need to tell the noise analysis that you want the noise in a branch or terminal current rather than a node voltage.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
kabir_fakir

Reply #5 - Jul 18th, 2017, 3:23am

Ken Kundert wrote on Jul 17th, 2017, 7:16pm:
Spectre does not require a CCVS in this situation. You only need to tell the noise analysis that you want the noise in a branch or terminal current rather than a node voltage.

-Ken

Thanks for the clarification.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.