The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 3:04pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Phase noise simulation using a verilog A model (Read 2341 times)
iVenky

Silicon Valley
Phase noise simulation using a verilog A model
Jun 17th, 2017, 5:51pm

Hi,

I have an ideal current source for the VCO. The thermal noise of the current source was modeled in a verilog A model using the white_noise() function. When I run pss/pnoise, I observe that phase noise of the VCO is not considering the effect of noise due to this verilogA model. Any suggestions?

I tried verifying the white_noise() verilog A model separately by running a transient noise simulation and it works.

View Profile   IP Logged
subtr
Community Member

Analog Enthusiast

India
Re: Phase noise simulation using a verilog A model
Reply #1 - Jun 17th, 2017, 9:42pm

I expect that your noise is a transient parameter which the simulator even does not recognize as noise. The PSS basically wants to find periodic steady state which might even be hindered by the noise added. I don't think PSS runs a transient noise analysis. I believe PSS gives the sensitivity function which the pnoise can use to find the spectrum. Your noise is in time domain. pnoise is an AC analysis which might not even see your verilogA being there. Probably this is the reason why you see only device noise and not the model noise.
The solution is to do a tran noise analysis and take FFT of the crossing points to get the phase noise spectrum through matlab. This will take the effect of your verilogA into consideration because measurement is done on the transient data.

Regards
Subtr
View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: Phase noise simulation using a verilog A model
Reply #2 - Jun 17th, 2017, 10:09pm

My suggestion is, if you want help, you should give the model. We cannot help you if you give us no information.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.