The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 29th, 2024, 2:00am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Verilog A models, Convergence (Read 2421 times)
balshoy

USA
Verilog A models, Convergence
May 06th, 2017, 7:38am

Hi

I am developing Verilog A model for an emerging device. That VerilogA model will be instantiated within an .scs file to run spectre simulations. I have a couple of questions regarding that:

1) As far as I know, spice-like simulators (LTspice, spectre, eldo..etc) have some hard coded models for some elements. Numerical solutions for circuits with such elements are well documented and the methods are known. But, when I use a verilogA model to describe a device, does spectre translate it first to a network of such elements and then solves (something like synthesis in digital) or it operates on the verilogA equations right away?

2)do the algorithms that apply to spice models (eg. NR) also apply to verilogA models?

Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: Verilog A models, Convergence
Reply #1 - May 6th, 2017, 4:36pm

1. The Verilog-A equations are evaluated directly.

2. Yes. The equations from all components, whether built-in or described with Verilog-A, are combined and solved simultaneously using the conventional SPICE algorithms (conversion to difference equations, Newton Raphson, sparse matrix techniques).

-Ken

« Last Edit: May 7th, 2017, 2:41pm by Ken Kundert »  
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
balshoy

USA
Re: Verilog A models, Convergence
Reply #2 - May 7th, 2017, 5:44am

Thanks Ken.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.