The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 19th, 2024, 2:01am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
RF front-end design 70MHz FM (Read 2149 times)
invPIC

RF front-end design 70MHz FM
May 03rd, 2017, 4:51pm

Hi, I'm a noob.
Want to build front end for FM Rx all processing will be DSP but I need my incoming RF to be of sufficient amplitude. There are schematics online of course but I want to LEARN by designing it myself.
I've built my circuit and just does not appear to work... and don't know why.

These are the values I calculated and why. This is all data I gained from google so please if incorrect help me out.

long explanation cause I want to show I am doing the research

So I'm trying to design a C.B amplifier using 2n3904 transistor, rated at 200MHz. I decided on C.B because of low input impedance, my antenna is 50 ohm.

Ie = 0.5mA, that should give me input impedance of 50ohm.
5V power supply, Vcolector should be 2.5V, @ 0.5mA Rc = 5K ohm
the remaining voltage (2.5V) should be 1/4 across Re and the remaining 3/4 across CE..
1/4 of 2.5V = 625 mV, @ 0.5mA = 1K2 ohm is the value for Re.
Need my base 0.7V higher, so 1.325V
I make a voltage divider , I decided on 5mA for the divider, i.e 10 times Ie. so my resistors are 1.325 / 5mA = R2 = 270 ohm
(5 - 1.325)/ 5mA = R1 = 680 ohm.

I have 100nF cap from base to gnd, and 10pF caps for input and output.
I'm expecting my gain to be 5k / 50 = 100

the calculated DC bias corresponds with what I'm getting with my multimeter.

but with an oscilloscope on the output (collector cap) and signal generator set to 50 ohm 70MHz, 100uV peak to peak, if my circuit were even giving me 50 gain I should see a sine wave 5mV peak to peak ?

however I get nothing at all, in fact if I disconnect the power supply from my circuit the waveform doesn't change at all Sad it's just a noisy flat-line...

please of you spot my error help me out, or if you need me to perform some test etc....

cheers
Ryan

View Profile   IP Logged
invPIC

Re: RF front-end design 70MHz FM
Reply #1 - May 4th, 2017, 5:39pm

Ok I think I've made some progress.
I increased my divider current by a factor of 10. I figured with more drive current at the base the transistor can respond quicker to fluctuations in Ic (?...)
And second I made the input capacitor much larger, 10nF.
Now even without the signal generator and a whip antenna I'm getting rather large signals in my output, 100mV. I'm inside a shielded building, not even my phone's fm radio works in here, but I'm getting signals around 5Mhz, not sure that could be. but I'm keen to try this outside Smiley
The signals disappear when I remove the battery so I assume the signal is not picked up by the oscilloscope lead themselves, rather it is a valid output from my amplifier....
again this is all speculation and as you can tell I'm very new to this, so please if you see me make invalid assumptions let me know!! Smiley

cheers

« Last Edit: May 4th, 2017, 7:29pm by invPIC »  
View Profile   IP Logged
invPIC

Re: RF front-end design 70MHz FM
Reply #2 - May 9th, 2017, 3:10pm

for anyone interested this seems to be doing what I want. now i'll do the next stage of processing to confirm that what I see on the oscilloscope is in fact an fm station and not just noise from my circuit....

rf.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.