The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 19th, 2024, 1:19pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
@(cross statement triggering on constant value at sim start time (Read 3035 times)
va_user

@(cross statement triggering on constant value at sim start time
Apr 18th, 2017, 6:16pm

I created what I believe to be a simple ADC that samples the value of a signal on the rising edge of a reference clock.  The reference clock begins in the high state (1V), holds high for a half cycle, and then transitions with a 50% duty cycle (low state = 0V).  I also added a delay parameter to the sample time such that the signal will be sampled at the rising clock edge time + the parameter value.
First I declare the module and initialize relevant variables:
Code:
`include “discipline.h”
`include “constants.h”

module ADC(clk, test);
	input clk;
	electrical clk;

input test;
	electrical test;

parameter real sample_offset = 18e-12;
	parameter real threshold = 0.5;
	parameter real expr_tol = 1e-15;
	parameter real time_tol = 1e-15;

real rising_edge_time;
	real rising_clock_voltage;
	real test_sample;

integer test_bin_value;
	integer fh;
	integer rising_edge_count = 0;
	integer rising_edge_detected = 0;

Now I initialize file output and verify that no rising edge has yet been detected:

Code:
	analog begin
		@(initial_step) begin
		fh = $fopen(“test_output”);
		$fdisplay(fh, “initially, rising_edge_detected = %d”, rising_edge_detected);
	end

I have one loop that triggers on a rising clock edge and saves the time at which it occurred:

Code:
@cross(V(clk)-threshold, +1, time_tol, expr_tol)) begin
	rising_edge_time = $abstime();
	rising_edge_voltage = V(clk);
	rising_edge_count = rising_edge_count + 1;
	rising_edge_detected = 1;
	$fdisplay(“rising edge detected at t = %f ps”, rising_edge_time/1p);
end

And a second loop that triggers whenever the abstime exceeds the last saved rising clock edge time + the sample offset:

Code:
@(cross($abstime()-(rising_edge_time+sample_offset), +1, time_tol, expr_tol)) begin
	If (rising_edge_detected == 1) begin
		test_sample = V(test);
		if (test_sample > threshold) begin
			test_bin_value = 1;
		end
		else begin
			test_bin_value = 0;
		end
	end
	$fdisplay(“clk rise %d at time %f ps, test_bin_value = %d”, rising_edge_count, rising_edge_time/1p, test_bin_value);
	rising_edge_detected = 0;
end

This loop samples the analog voltage of the test signal and converts it to digital.

The problem I am seeing is that the first loop is immediately triggering when the simulation starts and apparently counting the initial high value of clk as a low-to-high transition.  This in turn triggers the second loop and creates a sample I didn’t intend on capturing.

My output is as follows:

Code:
initially, rising_edge_detected = 0
rising edge detected at t = 0.100000 ps
clk rise 1 at time 0.100000 ps, test_bin_value = 0

Does an initial high value always trigger a @cross(V(<signal>)-threshold, +1, time_tol, expr_tol)) statement, or is there something wrong with my logic?  The actual clk signal starts at 1V and doesn’t transition to 0 V until hundreds of ps later.  All other transitions are captured correctly; I ‘m just getting an extra one at the very beginning of the simulation that doesn’t actually occur.  The rising_edge_detected variable is correctly initialized to 0 at the start of the simulation.

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: @(cross statement triggering on constant value at sim start time
Reply #1 - Apr 18th, 2017, 10:51pm

A cross function only triggers only on a crossing. It would not trigger initially simply because the argument starts above the threshold.

Its hard to know what is going on without seeing the clock signal.

One thing that seems dubious is the use of the incredibly tight tolerances. In general, using such tight tolerances is just asking for trouble.

Also, you should not use a cross function to place an event at a particular time. That is what the timer function is for.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
va_user

Reply #2 - Apr 19th, 2017, 1:36pm

The extra sample at t = 0.1ps only occurs when I use "uic" in the SPICE .tran statement.  Is this the expected behavior of verilog-A with uic?  The clock signal in question was specified using a pwl command and starts at a high voltage, so I am not sure where/how verilog-A is finding a low to high transition at the beginning of the simulation.

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #3 - Apr 20th, 2017, 12:22am

It would be helpful if you showed us the clock waveform.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.