The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 3:18pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Correct biasing scheme for Common Drain stage (Read 2690 times)
exp

Correct biasing scheme for Common Drain stage
Mar 23rd, 2017, 7:54pm

Hello,

I am struggling with the appropriate biasing scheme for a common drain stage (used as a buffer following a diff pair) in an advanced 28nm node. The following circuit shows the CD drain stage with P3a as active device and P12 as biasing current source and P4a and P14 is the biasing branch. The biasing current is injected via ib_buf.

In order to reduce Vth to a minimum, I use backbiasing of the PMOS transistor (supported by the technology). I also have the potential of the gate of the CD stage which I could use for biasing taken from a non-loading node, indicated by voc1r. (it is the common mode of the preceding diff pair obtained via a resistive divider).

I cannot use the same backbiasing voltage in the biasing branch because the VDS of P4a and P14 would get tiny, making the VDS of the biasing device under ib_buf (not shown) large and putting to much stress on it.

P3a and P12 have the same dimensions (318u/40n) and the biasing transistors P4a and P14 are 32u/40n. The anticipated current through P3a is 1.563mA, hence I force 156.3u through P14 and P4a.

As can be seen, ID with 18.3874m is off by an order of magnitude.

What is the proper biasing scenario for this setup?

I would expect not more than 20% mismatch in current ...

Thanks!
exp ...

CD_Bias.PNG
View Profile   IP Logged
ULPAnalog
Community Member

Re: Correct biasing scheme for Common Drain stage
Reply #1 - Mar 31st, 2017, 9:12am

I think the problem is that the drain voltages of the pmos current mirrors are quite different, at least by 70mV and in this smaller scale process, expect Vds to have significant impact on Ids.

You should make sure the current mirror has near identical drain to source voltages to meet your requirement.

View Profile   IP Logged
achilles

Reply #2 - Jul 29th, 2017, 12:23pm

Seems to me that this is the backgate effect. The threshold voltages are different.

View Profile   IP Logged
Hercules Poirot

Reply #3 - Aug 8th, 2017, 5:00am

P4a and P12 have completely different threshold voltages because of back biasing. To get a proper current mirror, make sure you use devices of the same threshold.
P.S. Which process is this?

View Profile   IP Logged
Berti-2

Reply #4 - Aug 10th, 2017, 3:50am

Hey Hercules Poirot,

To me the schematic symbols look familiar: Global Foundries 28nm? Wink

You are definitely right: With different voltage at the bulks, this is for sure not a proper current mirror.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.