The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 24th, 2024, 9:46pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Trapezoidal ringing in Cadence (Read 121 times)
inqui123

Trapezoidal ringing in Cadence
Mar 10th, 2017, 8:51am

Hi

This is with reference to Ken Kundert's book, The Designer's Guide to Spice and Spectre, Chapter4: Section 4.2.2.1-Stiff circuits under Transient analysis. I am trying to understand  the three numerical methods discussed and recreate the graphs shown on page 136-138. The problem is for trapezoidal method, I am unable to see the ringing shown for higher values of pole frequencies. I have tried with very small time constants and very high time steps(forced cadence to follow the required time step only). I changed the settings to Conservative/Liberal and traponly. When I code the same equation in Matlab, the results come as expected. Has the cadence done some error correction for this, and I should indeed not see the trapezoidal ringing in this case?

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: Trapezoidal ringing in Cadence
Reply #1 - Mar 10th, 2017, 11:02am

Are you properly restricting the simulator to use traponly?

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
inqui123

Reply #2 - Mar 12th, 2017, 5:52am

I have checked the traponly in transient options. Is there any other setting pertaining to this as well?

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #3 - Mar 12th, 2017, 11:42pm

Spectre, and SPICE in general, always places a backward-euler step at corners. This will make it harder to see the effect you seek as it will suppress the trapezoidal ringing.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
inqui123

Reply #4 - Mar 13th, 2017, 6:43pm

If I understand correctly, the simulator uses break-points at every sharp corner of the stimuli. This circuit, however, has no such source. It is a rc circuit, with an initial condition.
The idea actually is to understand in which circuit to expect trapezoidal ringing, and if there are some differences between theory and practice.

View Profile   IP Logged
inqui123

Reply #5 - Mar 16th, 2017, 6:08am

Any update on the question posted?

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.