The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 25th, 2024, 9:04pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Two Stage Op Amp Pole Splitting Compensation (Read 99 times)
DanielLam
Community Member

Two Stage Op Amp Pole Splitting Compensation
Feb 28th, 2017, 5:34pm

Hi all,

Has anyone run into a situation where pole splitting was not recommended to compensate a 2 stage opamp? I suppose the alternative compensation scheme would be dominant pole by putting a big fat capacitor to ground at the intermediate node.

Thanks,
Daniel Lam

View Profile   IP Logged
ULPAnalog
Community Member

Re: Two Stage Op Amp Pole Splitting Compensation
Reply #1 - Mar 2nd, 2017, 7:29am

I have once used feedforward compensation to compensate a two stage opamp in an high bandwidth application, the architecture of which is similar to the one reported in "A 56 mW Continuous-Time Quadrature Cascaded SD Modulator With 77 dB DR in a Near Zero-IF
20 MHz Band" by L. Breems et al.
As claimed by the authors, this topology gives the gain of a two stage op-amp and speed of a single stage amplifier.

View Profile   IP Logged
deba
Community Member

Reply #2 - Mar 2nd, 2017, 8:56am

In analog LDOs with pMOS pass transistor, some times miller compensation is not used as the PSRR spec is to demanding. In such cases, putting a cap at the intermediate node connected to the supply is used for improved PSRR performance.

View Profile   IP Logged
DanielLam
Community Member

Reply #3 - Mar 6th, 2017, 11:51pm

Thanks for the replies. Learned quite a bit.

View Profile   IP Logged
A Kumar R
Community Member

India
Reply #4 - Mar 9th, 2017, 4:38am

Hi Daniel,

could you let me know what were the conditions in which a pole splitting is not recommended?

i think it depends on what load cap we are driving. if the load cap is too large, then we may end up with even bigger comp cap which may not be ok.

thanks,
anil

View Profile   IP Logged
DanielLam
Community Member

Reply #5 - Mar 9th, 2017, 10:14am

Hey AnilReddy,

The question just popped in my head one day. I didn't have a specific situation. But looking at the other 2 replies, they are some good examples. I think I saw an article mention the PSRR the other day.

Regards,
Daniel Lam

View Profile   IP Logged
DanielLam
Community Member

Reply #6 - Mar 31st, 2017, 7:23pm

Thought I'd just give some results on PSRR of a conventional 2-stg opamp with/without the compensation capacitor.

The device lengths were 1 um. The PSRR defined here is the AC gain from the worst case rail to the output. I know there may be some other PSRR definitions.

With miller cap: -38 dB
W/o miller cap: -85 dB

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.