The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 2:06pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
responsivity simulation of AM detector (Read 3403 times)
Kyle

responsivity simulation of AM detector
Feb 22nd, 2017, 11:30pm

Hi everyone,
I'm working on a 20GHz amplitude modulation detector right now. And I want to get the responsivity with spectre. Does anyone knows which analyses I should use?
Here is what I think will work.

1. Use hb simulation to get the number of input power. And then use transient simulation to get the voltage amplitude of output signal.
Is it right? Is there anyother ways to do it.

2. Seem the envlp analysis could do it.
If I try to plot voltage magnitude in spectrum domain. there several parameters I need to define. But I'm not clear how to define them.
Nyquist half-bandwidth:
Frequency bin width:

thank you guys if anyone knows about this.

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: responsivity simulation of AM detector
Reply #1 - Feb 23rd, 2017, 10:14pm

If by "responsivity" you are asking about the gain of the detector, then this could be done with harmonic balance directly (or maybe hb+hbac if the linear conversion gain is sufficient). I'm not entirely sure what style of AM detector you're talking about, but I see no reason why you'd need to also use a transient or envelope simulation to measure this.

Andrew

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #2 - Feb 24th, 2017, 12:01pm

I don't think there is any need to limit yourself to harmonic balance. Shooting methods should work fine and in general give better accuracy.

You can measure responsivity with a simple PAC analysis where the analysis frequency is the input frequency and the output frequency is baseband (use sweeptype = relative and observer the -1 sideband).

Alternately you can use a PXF analysis where the analysis frequency is baseband (use sweeptype=absolute and observe the +1 sideband).

-Ken

Kyle

Reply #3 - Feb 24th, 2017, 2:27pm

Andrew Beckett wrote on Feb 23rd, 2017, 10:14pm:
If by "responsivity" you are asking about the gain of the detector, then this could be done with harmonic balance directly (or maybe hb+hbac if the linear conversion gain is sufficient). I'm not entirely sure what style of AM detector you're talking about, but I see no reason why you'd need to also use a transient or envelope simulation to measure this.

Andrew

Thank you for the reply.
Voltage Responsivity= output volatge(baseband)/input power(RF).

The detector is a kind of doubler detector as shown in below figure.

Btw, when I use hb, there is always a error that "fund frequency 20GHz does not divide evenly into the stimulus frequency 'ammodfreq' 80MHz"
I don't understand this error.

DET_001.png
View Profile   IP Logged
Kyle

Reply #4 - Feb 24th, 2017, 2:32pm

Ken Kundert wrote on Feb 24th, 2017, 12:01pm:
I don't think there is any need to limit yourself to harmonic balance. Shooting methods should work fine and in general give better accuracy.

You can measure responsivity with a simple PAC analysis where the analysis frequency is the input frequency and the output frequency is baseband (use sweeptype = relative and observer the -1 sideband).

Alternately you can use a PXF analysis where the analysis frequency is baseband (use sweeptype=absolute and observe the +1 sideband).

-Ken

Hi Ken, thx for the reply.
By using ac simulation, I think I can't get the right value of the input power. What do you think?
Thx

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #5 - Feb 25th, 2017, 5:35pm

You definitely would not use AC analysis. Must be PAC or PXF.

All of these are small signal analyses, so their input amplitude is of no real consequence as long as it is not zero. However you do need a large signal present that the small signal 'modulates'. If you just perform a simple PAC analysis, you are adding a single sideband, which means that you are modulating both the amplitude and the phase of the 'carrier'. Alternatively, you can use these modulators to apply only a specific type of modulation to the input.

-Ken

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.