The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 19th, 2024, 11:28am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
PLL within a PLL: is it possible (Read 1708 times)
Debdut

PLL within a PLL: is it possible
Feb 08th, 2017, 5:08am

Hi,
I am creating a multiphase fractional PLL with Fref 6MHz and Fout 403-407MHz. Instead of generating phases from a multiphase LC-VCO, I am using RC filters to generate the phases. The phases will have errors, thus there is a phase correction circuit. This correction circuit converts the phase difference (between the phases) into voltage and compares these voltages through a error amplifier.
This phase correction unit has resistance and capacitors which are prone to errors due to mismatch and thus the generated voltages may have errors.
Through monte carlo simulation this error is visible. Without mismatch there is no phase errors, but they crop up when mismatch is taken into account.
How can I remove these errors? I have thought of dividing the erroneous divider output and reach a frequency until no errors exist. Then using a integer PLL to ramp up to 6MHz. I dont know whether this thought is vague or bad! At least I have not seen PLL within a PLL.
Please help in this regard.

View Profile   IP Logged
Abdullah

Re: PLL within a PLL: is it possible
Reply #1 - Mar 7th, 2017, 3:56am

Can you describe your phase detection circuit for us? What mismatch are you referring to? because usually a pull-up and pull-down network drives the low pass filter (RC network).

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: PLL within a PLL: is it possible
Reply #2 - Mar 20th, 2017, 9:14pm

At that low a frequency, why not use a ring oscillator? The phase noise (aka jitter) requirement will be the limiting issue.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.