The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 17th, 2024, 10:31pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
AMS simulator multi threading (Read 1977 times)
subtr
Community Member

Analog Enthusiast

India
AMS simulator multi threading
Feb 03rd, 2017, 10:19pm

Is there a way to increase the number of cores being used by the ams simulator? I see that no matter what I select spectre/aps++ multithreading etc, I just see 100% CPU in the top command. How do I enable higher CPU usage? The simulator used is ams.

Regards
Subtr
View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: AMS simulator multi threading
Reply #1 - Feb 3rd, 2017, 10:37pm

How big is the circuit? In the simulator log, is there a message:

Notice from spectre during initial setup.
   Multithreading is disabled due to the size of the design being too small.

Also in the simulator log, can you post the Circuit Inventory section here? This outlines how many of each component you have in the analog solver (the digital part isn't multi-threaded, at least not in INCISIVE versions - it's coming. However most AMS simulations are dominated by the performance of the analog part).

Which simulator version are you using?

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
subtr
Community Member

Analog Enthusiast

India
Reply #2 - Mar 26th, 2017, 5:10am

Hi Andrew,
The thing is that my simulations are fast enough without any transistors or such pdk elements. Even verilogA, AnalogLib, ahdllib components don't slow down. The moment I put two inverters, the simulation becomes like hundred times slower. I would like to know if the problem is genuine and if there's a way out. To speed up. What could be the cause? Sad

Regards
Subtr
View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #3 - Mar 26th, 2017, 7:03am

There are many things that could be the problem here. Maybe your connect modules have excessively fast rise/fall times and that is causing the timestep to collapse in the simulation? It's going to be very hard to diagnose without more information, I'm afraid.

Andrew.

subtr
Community Member

Analog Enthusiast

India
Reply #4 - Mar 26th, 2017, 12:11pm

Could you please tell me as to a information you require?

Regards
Subtr
View Profile   IP Logged
subtr
Community Member

Analog Enthusiast

India
Reply #5 - Mar 28th, 2017, 10:11pm

Hi Andrew,

I looked into the simulator log options which is disabled for me. In case this is of any use to you, I have attached the pic. My circuit is not big. In fact the things I have noticed which slows down the simulation are either transistor based circuits like an few inverter chains with a few mos caps etc. In fact I'm surprised by the fact that the same transistor circuit runs pretty fast in spectre and the AMS simulation without those elements run acceptably fast. The problem is when I put the transistors in the AMS simulation. My connect rules rise/fall times are 10p which I can't relax. If spectre could run those circuit fast, I couldn't understand why AMS would slow it down. The only reason I could think of is multi threading. I would like to know if you could suggest something in order to make the speed better

Screenshot_from_2017-03-28_21-58-28.png

Regards
Subtr
View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #6 - Mar 29th, 2017, 2:04am

Simulation time is proportional to the product of the number of equations being solved and the number of time points used. If things are slowing down dramatically, one of those two things must have increased significantly. You should figure out which. Then you should try to understand why it is changed. The addition of the inverters may result in trapezoidal rule ringing, which could result in many more time points. In this case the solution is simply to switch the transient option 'method=gear2only'. Or it may be that you have placed the inverters on the most active nodes, and the simulator requires more time points to accurately render the transitions (by adding inverters you are adding capacitors, and simulators try to control error on capacitors in order to compute the capacitive currents accurately). To help understand the time points, it is helpful to set the waveform tool to show you the actual time points used.

Oh, and most of these kinds of problems are caused by people setting simulator settings inappropriately. I have noticed and increasing tendency for designers to use ridiculously tight tolerances. So the first thing you should do is unset any accuracy related setting you set (reltol, abstols, errpreset, etc.) Just leave them all blank. Then, only tighten tolerances when there is a demonstrated need to. Do not do it prophylacticly.

-Ken

Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #7 - Mar 30th, 2017, 12:33am

Also it hasn't disabled the log file - you're running either with OSS or UNL (probably UNL - the Unified Netlister) in which case it uses irun - and not the individual compile/elaborate/simulate steps. So the irun log is the one that will tell you the details of any simulation options set, time steps used, performance and so on; the other log files don't exist in that flow.

Multithreading is almost certainly irrelevant in this case. Ken's suggestions are apposite.

Andrew.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.