The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 17th, 2024, 9:19pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
MIM Capacitor Tutorials & Errors (Read 4189 times)
SenthilRajan

MIM Capacitor Tutorials & Errors
Jan 24th, 2017, 8:37pm

Dear all,
            i doing layout for OTA with feedback,
in that i am using 15pF MIM capacitoance using UMC180nm Technology
file.i generated 15pF MIM capacitance using 10x10 matrix of 150fF MIM
capacitance(all are connected parallel) to improve matching to obtain
gain of  100.when i run the post-layout simulation during lower
frequencies the AC analysis output waveform is not same as pre-layout
simulation results.need help to resolve this error.

cap_layout_image.png
View Profile   IP Logged
ULPAnalog
Community Member

Re: MIM Capacitor Tutorials & Errors
Reply #1 - Jan 25th, 2017, 1:19am

Is it a capacitive coupled amplifier? If so, is this 15pF input capacitance or the feedback capacitance?

Extracted netlist generally does not have mismatch enabled and needs to be explicitly added (in most cases). Therefore the issue might not be related to mismatch but rather due to parasitics. Moreover good matching practices include laying both feedback capacitance and input capacitance in a common centroid fashion and adding dummies to create similar looking environment for all caps.

Please post the schematics, pre and post layout sims, including the extraction type (C+CC or R+C+CC) to better understand the problem.

View Profile   IP Logged
SenthilRajan

Reply #2 - Jan 25th, 2017, 9:19pm

Yes the circuit is capacitive coupled instrumentation amplier.15pF capacitance is input capacitance and 150fF capacitance is feedback capacitance,i did RC extration.if i have to include dummy capacitance,what value i have to include in capacitance layout.if possible where i have to refere for tutorials?

Screenshot-7_001.png
View Profile   IP Logged
ULPAnalog
Community Member

Reply #3 - Jan 26th, 2017, 1:38am

There are several documents available on the web detailing good layout practices for matching passives. One of those is http://www.eecg.toronto.edu/~johns/ece1371/slides/ECE1371_Mismatch-2.pdf

Since you have a differential amplifier at hand, you need to match sensing electrode and reference electrode paths to avoid cm-dm conversion.

Use of mos devices as pseudo resistors, while is a common practice in biopotential amplifiers, their modelling is rather poor under such operating conditions.

View Profile   IP Logged
SenthilRajan

Reply #4 - Jan 27th, 2017, 5:18am

Thank You the link material  helped lot..i got same output for pre-layout and post-layout..thank you once again

View Profile   IP Logged
ULPAnalog
Community Member

Reply #5 - Jan 28th, 2017, 11:01am

Good to know that you got it working. If you could post the problem and its solution, it would help others who might run into similar issue in future.

Best regards

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.