The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 24th, 2024, 3:55pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Regarding Circuit simulation with Ultrasim (Read 3057 times)
AMS_ei
Community Member

Regarding Circuit simulation with Ultrasim
Jan 21st, 2017, 5:23am

Hi,

Could someone please explain me how Ultrasim simulates a mixed signal design and why it is called MMSIM?

Thank you.

Kind regards.

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: Regarding Circuit simulation with Ultrasim
Reply #1 - Jan 21st, 2017, 10:47am

Ultrasim doesn't simulate a mixed-signal design (well, it's not a mixed-signal simulator; it's a FastSPICE simulator). It's also not called MMSIM...

MMSIM (Multi-Mode Simulation) is a flexible set of simulation technology that gives access to circuit simulation (Spectre/APS), RF (Spectre RF), FastSPICE (XPS, and also the older UltraSim) and Mixed-Signal (AMS Designer, using Spectre, APS or UltraSim as the solver for the analog parts). There's a flexible token-based license model which means you can easily use the licenses you have to access any of the overall set of simulation capabilities, or you can have "a la carte" licenses for the specific simulators you want.

You can of course use any of these (including UltraSim) to simulate a mixed-signal design, but you'd probably be better off using a mixed-signal simulator (such as AMS Designer) if there's significant digital content or you have behavioural models for the digital parts.

Not sure if any of this answered your question, but then again it was pretty open-ended...

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
AMS_ei
Community Member

Reply #2 - Jan 22nd, 2017, 9:45am

Thank you, Andrew.
Could you please explain me how does Ultrasim simulate a Mixed Signal Design?

Thank you.

Kind regards.

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #3 - Jan 22nd, 2017, 1:42pm

I don't understand your question. Are you expecting me to explain precisely how SPICE and FastSPICE simulators work? That's a topic for a book, not a forum reply.

There's a fair bit of background in the documentation, but you're going to have to ask something a bit more specific, I think.

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.