The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines. May 28th, 2017, 5:23am
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterPM to admin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Why should CP - PLL have limited bandwidth? (Read 253 times)
subtr
Community Member

Analog Enthusiast

USA
Why should CP - PLL have limited bandwidth?
Jan 08th, 2017, 10:51pm

There are reasons why PLL has to have low bandwidth in comparison to Fref. I'm currently talking about a simple charge pump based PLL. One reason I know is the reference spur should be minimize because it will cause VCO to change its frequency which will again propagate through the loop. The bandwidth cannot be increased much because of the stability issue. There is a thumb rule followed by people to make the bandwidth Fref/10. My question is : Which is more fundamental reason for this thumb rule? Is it the reference spur or the stability? I realize that our s-domain wouldn't work if our bandwidth is comparable to the Fref. It's hard to decouple these because averaging and removing reference spur, by using some golden PD automatically means I'm doing a low pass in frequency domain. But it would be great if someone could explain it in simple words.

Regards
Subtr
View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: Why should CP - PLL have limited bandwidth?
Reply #1 - Mar 20th, 2017, 9:24pm

you don't want the loop to respond to the reference frequency on every clock edge is the primary reason. The PLL should respond to the cumulative results of multiple phase errors.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Trouble viewing this site? Copyright © 2002-2014 Designer's Guide Consulting. 'Designer's Guide' is a registered trademark of Designer's Guide LLC. All rights reserved.
Give back to the Designer's Guide Community by shopping at Amazon. Purchasing products through this link helps to fund our activities and does not increase your cost.

Our colleges are not as safe as they seem. Sexual assault is pervasive and the treatment of the victim by the adminstration is often as damaging as the assault: Campus Survivors, Campus Survivors Forum.