The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 23rd, 2024, 11:43am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Emitter follower for bandgap reference (Read 2541 times)
blue111
Community Member

Emitter follower for bandgap reference
Jan 06th, 2017, 8:19am

how to prove both circuits topologies below (series diode and emitter follower) are equivalent ?

Both PNP transistors should have same current densities shown below with the same Vb on both PMOS load.

View Profile   IP Logged
subtr
Community Member

Analog Enthusiast

India
Re: Emitter follower for bandgap reference
Reply #1 - Jan 6th, 2017, 5:24pm

Both the circuits might be producing equal voltages. But the looking in DC incremental impedance should be different for both circuits. In fact the first one would have 2/gm and the second one would have 1/gm. This means that if we had a capacitance in the output node, the first one would halve half the bandwidth of the second one. Probably we can see the 2x current in the second one as a reason to get this extra bandwidth. In Bandgap you might be more worried about the feedback amplifier's poles than this pole though.

Regards
Subtr
View Profile   IP Logged
blue111
Community Member

Reply #2 - Jan 8th, 2017, 11:37pm

I understand your concern regarding this pole placement due to 1/gm. However, I still could not understand how both circuit tolopogies end up with same voltage that is 2Vbe

View Profile   IP Logged
subtr
Community Member

Analog Enthusiast

India
Reply #3 - Jan 9th, 2017, 2:07am

An emitter follower shifts the voltage up. Do you agree? A resistor shifts the voltage up. Do you agree? Do I now tell both are doing the same job hence both are equivalent? The diode connected transistor is equivalently a resistance of 1/gm.

Regards
Subtr
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.