The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 23rd, 2024, 12:41pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Simulating a high Q MKID in Sonnet (Read 2383 times)
lefebre

Simulating a high Q MKID in Sonnet
Dec 12th, 2016, 7:11pm

Hello,

So I need some help. I am currently designing superconducting MKID resonators in Sonnet but I cannot get a high Q.
Ideally the MKID should resonant at 400MHz and have a Q greater than 10^6. I can get a half wave resonator to resonate at 400 MHz but the Q is always smaller than 1000.
Can anyone that is familiar with this kind of thing help me out?
I have set all losses (resistance, tangent loss) to zero and am using a surface inductance of 50 pH/Sq to simulate TiN.
The MKID is coupled to a two port feedline. I am using the graph of S21 to calculate Q by dividing the resonant frequency by the bandwidth. No matter what I do it seems like I cannot get a bandwidth smaller than .5 MHz.
Anyone have any tips or advice?

Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
Maks
Community Member

San Jose
Re: Simulating a high Q MKID in Sonnet
Reply #1 - Apr 14th, 2017, 4:59pm

Well, superconductors is not the kind of system that the developers of EM simulation tools have in mind, usually.

It may well be the case that the simulation tool will fail if resistivity of some layers is set to zero. To avoid numerical problems, the tool may add some small resistivity value, that would not affect any results for realistic metals (say Cu or Al at room temperature or so), but would be absolutely detrimental for the simulation accuracy of very low resistive (such as superconductive) systems.

Check with the documentation or with Sonnet support.

Max

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.