The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 19th, 2024, 3:37pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to find average power only during the POSITIVE HALF CYCLE for a given time? (Read 2185 times)
Bean Nakamura

How to find average power only during the POSITIVE HALF CYCLE for a given time?
Dec 05th, 2016, 8:04pm

Hello all!  :)
I tried to post this question on the Cadence forum since last month but there seems to be a problem posting on it.
Is there any way I could find the average power of the attached rectifier circuit but only during the positive half cycle using Cadence Virtuoso GUI? I am designing a rectifier to work at 915MHz. I am well aware that I need to integrate v(t)*i(t) over a specified time.
So if I wanted to integrate only the positive cycle, the intervals in which I'd integrate over would be from 0 to (1/2*915MHz). Problem solved right? Not quite, since this would only take into account the first period. What if I wanted to do this for 300us? I can't just find how many periods are in 300us and times the power in the first period by that because the values of the first period and other periods are different. I don't know if this makes sense or not but I really hope it does lol. Any non-scripting methods of doing this using Cadence Calculator/ GUI?I am not familiar at all with scripting and netlisting so any GUI-based help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

circuit1.PNG
View Profile   IP Logged
sheldon
Community Fellow

Re: How to find average power only during the POSITIVE HALF CYCLE for a given time?
Reply #1 - Dec 6th, 2016, 11:05am

Bean,

You can create a dummy signal, a voltage pulse of 1V/0V. Multiply
the output by the dummy to eliminate the negative half of the signal.
Then integrate the waveform.

Sheldon

View Profile   IP Logged
Bean Nakamura

Re: How to find average power only during the POSITIVE HALF CYCLE for a given time?
Reply #2 - Dec 6th, 2016, 4:57pm

Great idea Sheldon! Will try doing that right away. Thanks for the suggestion!  :) Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.