The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 29th, 2024, 8:48am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
layout for large capacitors (Read 2573 times)
rames

layout for large capacitors
Nov 30th, 2016, 7:46am

I use tsmc18rf in 180nm technology in Cadence for make layout for my circuit. I have large capacitors in order of 10pF. I used "MIMCAP" for implementation of these large capacitors.
but they occupy large spaces in my layout. I want to use other kinds of capacitors if possible. I wanted to use poly1-poly2 capacitors to small the layout but i have no contact for poly2 to metal.
Do you know how to implement large capacitors in cadenece? is there any way to implement poly1-poly2 capacitors in cadence?
Thanks in advance

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: layout for large capacitors
Reply #1 - Dec 8th, 2016, 10:04pm

MIMCAP structures do not have a lot of capacitance per unit area due to the thick oxide layers between metal layers. (True of many foundry processes, but all are unique)

If you can use a ground or power rail tied capacitor, that is nonlinear consider using the gate of NMOS or PMOS device.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Horror Vacui

Dresden, Germany
Reply #2 - Dec 9th, 2016, 1:50am

I would first check whether poly1-poly2 is available. Using them increase the cost of every wafer and therefore often this option is not used.

About the connection: look at the documentation of the technology. There must be anything related to it. The last chance would be to look how to connect poly2 to M1. I can image that it requires the same via as poly1.

View Profile   IP Logged
tenso

USA
Reply #3 - Dec 14th, 2016, 11:40pm

is poly-poly more expensive than MIM even if the latter has a lower capacitance per unit area and thus covers more area?

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.