The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 23rd, 2024, 3:59pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Current Mirror (Read 2512 times)
asorab

Current Mirror
Nov 22nd, 2016, 8:36pm

Good day guys! What is the difference between PMOS current mirror and NMOS current mirror? What are their advantages towards each other? Thank you for your response... Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
subtr
Community Member

Analog Enthusiast

India
Re: Current Mirror
Reply #1 - Dec 29th, 2016, 10:57pm

There is no different between PMOS and NMOS current mirrors in the way they operate. PMOS sources current from supply, while the NMOS sinks current to the ground.
In order to understand more, I suggest you to learn the basic MOSFET functionalities. What I would blindly ask you to do is to watch a few lectures from IIT Madras by Professor Shanthi Pavan :

http://www.ee.iitm.ac.in/videolectures/doku.php?id=ec201_2010:start

Regards
Subtr
View Profile   IP Logged
ocmob

Cracow
Re: Current Mirror
Reply #2 - Jan 31st, 2017, 7:51am

I think for the same device length there will be difference in resistance seen from drain for PMOS and NMOS. This means your Vds variations between mirror transistors will introduce current mismatch. What you would want to do is just take one PMOS and one NMOS and make a sim of Id vs Vds. The one which has more flat characteristic in the saturation area (and for the same Vgs) will make a better current mirror.

EDIT: That and PMOS will require more overdrive to provide the same current - lower hole mobility.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.