The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 10:53pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Plot s11 on Smith chart (Read 1036 times)
engrvip

Plot s11 on Smith chart
Nov 19th, 2016, 5:32pm

Hi

When i say i am plotting s11 parameter on Smith chart, does it mean that s11 gets converted to z11 and hence plots normalised impedance value on SC.

Similarly what about s21 can it be plotted on SC since it is a gain parameter.

KINDLY clear my confusion.

View Profile   IP Logged
Horror Vacui

Dresden, Germany
Re: Plot s11 on Smith chart
Reply #1 - Jan 31st, 2017, 2:18am

S11 is like a reflection coefficient. There is a bijective connection between reflection coefficient and normalized impedance. No conversion is needed on the smith chart - that's point of the chart! - just different scales are used.

S21 is a ratio of incident and reflect waves. The waves are merely on different ports, so in princip it is the same as S11. Nevertheless I do not see the point of using a Smith chart for S21. The middle point of the Smith chart has no meaning here, no matching is required in this parameter. If you have S21=10+j0, then where would you add it on the Smith chart? A conventional magnitude plot says more about S21.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.