The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 29th, 2024, 8:58am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
RF limiter for sub 0dBm power (Read 732 times)
Hammad33

RF limiter for sub 0dBm power
Oct 05th, 2016, 12:14am

Hello, I'm currently working on a receiver in which I would like to limit the RF power at input to -10dBm ~ -15dBm. All of the pin diode limiter (including schottky enhanced) schematics that I have seen limit power as low as 0dBm and not below that. I came across a limiter schematic given in Figure 16 of this link.

http://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/74633/pin-diode-limiter

I was wondering if by using an amplifier before the schottky diode mentioned in Figure 16, can I tune the limit power to below 0dBm?

P.S, I would like to do it with as little active components as possible Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
Ancel

Re: RF limiter for sub 0dBm power
Reply #1 - Oct 7th, 2016, 12:01pm

Depending on the frequency band and permissible NF, have you considered a resistive  attenuator followed by an mmic amp. with a feedback control loop  as an ALC or manual level control.

View Profile   IP Logged
Hammad33

Re: RF limiter for sub 0dBm power
Reply #2 - Oct 9th, 2016, 6:37am

@Ancel, thanks for your reply. I have considered a feedback loop using the detector that I'm using in my AGC but that would cause a delay of around 2 to 3 usecs, that I don't really want.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.